| 11.5°C Dublin

Brother of feud victim 'can't pay for drugs test'

THE BROTHER of Crumlin feud victim Declan Gavin hasn't enough cash to pay for a urine test.

Thug Aidan Gavin (38) told a court he could not afford to have the test -- which he needs as part of an appeal against a charge of possessing a hatchet.

A judge has now ordered that Gavin be tested before his next hearing in October.

At his District Court hearing this week, cocaine addict Gavin was to have produced evidence to prove that he had beaten his drugs problem.

But his barrister told Dublin Circuit Court there was no urine test available as Gavin had been unable to meet the cost of having one carried out.

The same court has already heard Gavin, whose brother was the first victim of the Crumlin feud, was on a gangland hit list with a €50,000 bounty on his head.


Judge Alison Lindsay made a court order for the test, meaning it will be paid for.

Gavin was before the court after appealing a three-month sentence he had been given in Dublin District Court for unlawful possession of a hatchet.

Barrister Barry Ward told the court the judge had indicated she would deal with the case by way of a non-custodial sentence if he came back to court with a report and urine test results.

Mr Ward said that Gavin had put himself on a waiting list to get onto a six-week residential treatment course.

Explaining the situation with the drugs test, he said: "It costs hundreds of euros and he simply hasn't the money to pay for it".

Mr Ward said it would be another two to three weeks before Gavin got the place on the course.

He asked the judge to proceed by accepting Gavin's "bona fides" or order the urinalysis and adjourn the case.

The judge said she wanted proof that the accused was clean and adjourned the case.

Gavin, who survived a murder attempt when he was shot in the nose, was convicted of brandishing a hatchet on Dublin's South Circular Road in 2007.

The court also heard he spent last October in Thailand in a rehabilitation clinic

He has claimed a detective from the Garda Emergency Response Unit advised him to arm himself for protection, and that he sleeps in different houses to avoid his enemies.

His lawyer previously told Judge Alison Lindsay: "My client realises the grave jeopardy he has put himself in.

"He told gardai of the €50,000 bounty on his head and that there have been three attempts on his life," he said at a previous hearing.

"He told me a member of the ERU advised him to equip himself with with some form of weapon to deter attackers. But he's now assured me that he is attempting to get his life back on track and is now off drugs.

"He is now living in different locations but just wants to care for his children."