| 16.4°C Dublin

Brendan blows through but city remains under threat of coastal floods


Billy Bradshaw from Clontarf takes a close look at the flooded cycle lane on the coast road

Billy Bradshaw from Clontarf takes a close look at the flooded cycle lane on the coast road

Billy Bradshaw from Clontarf takes a close look at the flooded cycle lane on the coast road

Dublin isn't out of the woods just yet after Storm Brendan roared across Ireland yesterday.

Named after comedian Brendan Grace, there was nothing funny for the 100,000 homes and businesses left without power, with widespread coastal flooding caused before the storm moved off into the Irish Sea.

Gusts of up to 135 km/h led to flight cancellations and diversions in the south, as well as dangerous driving conditions due to downed trees and other debris.

This debris included a number of trampolines found on roads and motorways in Limerick, Tipperary and Kildare.

While the south, west and north west bore the brunt of Storm Brendan, the capital is still at risk of coastal flooding today and early tomorrow, according to Dublin City Council.


Car parks were closed and flood barriers set up at Clontarf, Sandymount and along the tidal reaches of the River Dodder.

They will remain in place until tomorrow morning due to high tides predicted to hit around 2pm today.

The storm also caused surges and flooding in many coastal areas - as well as localised spot flooding throughout the country.

A section of the coast road in Skerries was closed yesterday due to flooding and the number 33 Dublin Bus operating between the city centre and Balbriggan was re-routed.

Officials from Dublin Bus last night could not say when normal service is expected to resume.

A spokeswoman said no other routes were affected.

The storm also forced the temporary closure of the Department of Social Welfare Office on D'Olier Street after strong winds blew in a window.

No one was injured and the office is expected to re-open as usual today, with no disruption to normal services.

The storm also prompted the Dublin City Homeless Executive to activate its extreme weather protocol.

Outreach teams made contact with rough sleepers and other homeless people to ensure they had shelter during the storm.

Extra beds and extended opening hours at hostels were put in place to ensure they did not have to go out during the storm but there were no other storm-related issues, said a spokeswoman.

While Dublin Airport did not report any serious disruption other than some minor flight delays involving smaller propeller aircraft, the storm caused some minor delays of around 10 minutes on the DART line.


Irish Rail said its services were largely unaffected by the storm but it was a different story on the Irish Sea.

Stena Line was forced to delay the maiden voyage of its new ferry, the Estrid, from Holyhead to Dublin by two hours before docking shortly after 3pm when the storm moved out over the Irish Sea.

A status orange marine warning remained in place yesterday with gale to stormforce winds expected around the coast.

While Met Eireann said the worst of the storm passed over Ireland by late afternoon yesterday, its status orange wind warning was extended until midnight for counties Donegal, Galway Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo.

A second wave of strong winds - possibly rising to status red gusts - was forecast to blow into the west and northwest early yesterday evening.