| 15.4°C Dublin

Boy crushed in lift had begged for mum's help

A THREE-year-old boy who died after he was crushed in a lift called out to his mother begging her to help him.

Solomon Soremekun (3) died in a freak accident which saw him crushed in an elevator shaft in Galway city centre on Monday afternoon.

His mother Omolara Alibi, who has been left in deep shock since the tragedy, has now begun to relive her son's last moments.


The tragedy unfolded at the Hynes Building on St Augustine Street in the city on Monday afternoon.

Ms Alibi explained to her legal representative, Gerard O'Donnell, how Solomon had entered the lift without issue just moments before the tragedy occurred.

"She had been able to tell me that they were coming out of the Social Welfare offices and the door of the lift opened and the lift was level with the floor. Solomon stepped in but as her daughter went to step in, it snapped closed," explained Mr O'Donnell.

"Solomon was stuck in the lift and he was shouting to his mother for help. He kept shouting 'Help me Mummy, help me Mummy'. He was calling and banging on the door to get help," he added.

Emergency services rushed to the scene and attempted to free the child, however, he was found in the lift shaft having suffered crush injuries which resulted in his death.

It is still not clear how the three-year-old managed to make it into the lift shaft. Mr O'Donnell said his client was "tormented" since the incident and was desperate for answers as to what happened.

"First and foremost she is totally traumatised and shocked by what happened. She kept saying she went into the Hynes Building with four children and came out with three. She wants to find out what happened and how it happened," he added.

The family had only moved to Galway in recent weeks and were visiting a Department of Social Protection office in the building, to complete paperwork associated with their move, when the incident occurred.


Two investigations are under way into the circumstances surrounding the death of the boy. Ms Alibi is expected to meet with the Health and Safety Authority, who are conducting an investigation, next week.

Solomon will be laid to rest at the New Cemetery in Galway city following a prayer service at the hospital mortuary today.

His family will attend the private service along with members of the local Nigerian community.