| 5.7°C Dublin

Boy (17) ordered to stay away from his mother

A YOUTH accused of smashing the windscreen of his mother's car while she was driving has been barred from contacting her and from going within 500 metres of her home.

The Dublin Children's Court heard that the 17-year-old boy's mother was afraid he would attack her and did not want to take him home.

The boy was arrested on July 22 last and brought to court hours later charged with criminal damage to a wall at his Dublin home, breach of the peace, damaging his mother's car windscreen and possessing a quantity of heroin.

Garda Barry O'Shea told the court previously: "His mother is refusing to give him an address or his father on the grounds they fear he might damage their property or injure them."

He said the boy's mother "has no way of keeping him out of the house if he returns and he has said previously that he would not go to the HSE or work with the HSE in any shape or form".


The court heard that the teen's mother had not come to the case because she was in fear of the accused assaulting her

"She was in a lot of fear at the time, she was driving the car when the window was put through," the garda had said.

The boy had been remanded in custody to appear again yesterday when the proceedings resumed with teen's social worker also present.

However, the boy's mother was not at the case.

Defence solicitor John Quinn said his client asked the court to fix bail and that the main reason he had been held in custody was due to not having somewhere to reside.

He submitted that a mother of one of the teen's friends was in court and willing to take him in, and that his client would abide by bail conditions.

Garda O'Shea objected to bail saying that on previous occasions the teen's mother had taken him back but he added that she had done so "under duress".

He also said the mother feared she would have no way of defending herself if the boy returned to her house. "We would not be able to monitor the situation 24/7," he told Judge John Lindsay.

Judge Lindsay agreed to grant bail providing the teen resided with the woman in court and obeyed a curfew to be in her home 10pm to 8am daily.

He also ordered that the teenager was "not to be in 500m" of his mother's home, where he had resided until he was charged last week. The case was adjourned to September.