| 11.2°C Dublin

Boy (16) 'lucky to be alive' after shotgun attack

STEPHEN Hynes's mother Caroline was too distraught to talk about her son's shooting today as she fought back tears.

The teenager was undergoing surgery this afternoon to remove the shotgun pellets.

He is being treated at St James' Hospital where it is hoped that he will make a good recovery.

Residents on Lismore Road said they heard two loud bangs in quick succession and then gardai and an ambulance raced to the scene.


"It was in the garden of the house. I think young Stephen was just with some lads when the car drove up and the shots were fired," said one local.

"When I heard the noises, I thought it was kids with bangers because Halloween is so close, but then when I saw the guards I knew it was something serious.

"Stephen was lying in the garden and there was a big commotion going on. The poor lad," said the woman.

"He's a lovely young lad and there's no way he deserves any of this. I don't know what these guys were thinking firing on innocent people. He could have been killed,"she added.

Sources say that Stephen is a completely innocent victim and was previously unknown to gardai. Karl Fay has already survived a number of attempts on his life.

Last October, his family home in Crumlin was targeted in a pipebomb attack after what gardai believe was a major disagreement with an up-and- coming Crumlin criminal.

A bomb containing a timer and detonator was thrown through a back window of the house at Lismore Road in Crumlin and ended up in a bathroom sink. No one was injured in the attack, which led to the house being evacuated. Earlier that night Fay and two of his close associates were allegedly chased through Crumlin by a gunman.

Fay and his associates were forced to go into Crumlin Garda Station -- but refused to make a statement about the incident to officers.

Gardai then seized a car that the group were travelling in.

Last night's shooting incident at the house on Lismore Road followed several attacks on the property.

Because of previous shooting incidents there, it is understood special bullet-proof glass has been installed.

Karl Fay had spent several months away from Ireland after being warned that his life was under threat after he was shot in a park in Milltown, south Dublin, in April 2011.

After being targeted in the incident, the young man stumbled into the well-known Dropping Well pub covered in blood and fell on the floor in front of dozens of shocked customers.

He made a full recovery after spending weeks in hospital.

Sources believe Fay knows the identity of his attackers but has declined to give gardai a statement about it.

Fay and an associate had been previously charged with the July 2008 murder of a man Declan Rooney in Crumlin, who died after being beaten with a snooker cue and a golf club.

However, the trial collapsed at the Central Criminal Court in 2009, after a 12-year-old key witness said he was unable to identify the killers.

The chief suspects for last night's reckless shooting of Stephen Hynes are believed to be gangsters who have been involved in the Crumlin/Drimnagh feud which has claimed 16 lives since started in 2001.


After a period of relative calm, gardai say that a new generation of violent drugged-up thugs have come to the fore and have been involved in a number of very serious incidents.

The last murder directly linked to the feud happened last month when 'King Ratt' gang enforcer Gerard Eglinton was shot dead at his home in Portarlington, Co Laois just over two weeks ago. Gardai are satisfied that Eglinton was murdered by the rival 'Fat' Freddie Thompson outfit in revenge for an assault that Eglinton was involved in at a Dublin city centre pub last year.

The gun attack on innocent Stephen Hynes and the seizure of a sophisticated gun yesterday in Crumlin show that detectives in the Crumlin/Drimnnagh area are once again dealing with an upsurge in gang related violence.