| 2.6°C Dublin

Boy (15) 'drove at gardai in stolen car'

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy accused of attempting to run over two gardai with a car has been served with a book of evidence at the Dublin Children's Court and sent forward for trial.

Judge Clare Leonard made an order sending the case to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which has wider sentencing powers.

The teenager is accused of reckless endangerment of the lives of two gardai, driving a stolen car and criminal damage to two other vehicles, in north Dublin on October 8 last.

Detective Sergeant Colm Murphy, of Coolock station said he had been searching the home and car of an associate of the teenager.



speed

He alleged that the teenage defendant was driving a stolen car, and "drove at me at speed".

"I had to take evasive action to avoid being struck," he said.

"It is also alleged that the accused swung the car in the direction of Garda Con Kennedy who had to take evasive action to avoid being struck."

His solicitor had said the teen had no prior convictions. "This is his first entry into the criminal justice system," he said.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy