| 10.7°C Dublin

Body-in-bog victim killed after row over €200 car turned nasty

GARDAI believe that the 28-year-old man whose body was found in a bog yesterday was killed because of a row over a €200 car.

Murder victim Bruno Lemes De Sousa was killed when an argument over a vehicle which he was trying to sell turned very nasty in a house in Ballyduff, Co Kerry.

The body of the Brazilian national was found by gardai at about 2pm during a planned search of Shronowen Bog at Tullamore, five miles north of Listowel.

Two men, an Irish teenager from Co Kerry and a Brazilian national in his late 20s, remain in garda custody where they are being questioned today about the murder.

Sources say that both men were involved in assaulting Mr De Sousa who was known to gardai for minor criminal matters.

"The victim in this case travelled from his home in Gort, Co Galway, to Co Kerry to sell a vehicle which was worth little more than €200.

"A row started over the car and the injured party was savagely assaulted and possibly stabbed. It is understood that he tried to defend himself in the course of the incident but he was overpowered by the two men.

"Gardai do not believe that this was a premeditated crime -- what started as an innocuous row over a car has led to the death of this unfortunate young man.

"This is not a gangland or drugs issue -- a row got way out of hand."


Gardai believe that the fatal assault happened in the house in Ballyduff, which is around 18 kilometres from where yesterday's horror discovery was made by officers carrying out a planned search.

Mr De Sousa, who is originally from Anapolis in Brazil, came to Ireland eight years ago and had been living in Gort for four months.

The meat factory worker, who also bought and sold cars, had been missing since February 16 and his frantic partner Patricia had been searching for him for close to a month.

The victim was reported missing to gardai last month by his partner who became concerned for his welfare when he failed to return from his trip to Kerry.

Gardai in Co Galway liaised with their colleagues in Listowel on the case.

They soon established that he had been murdered and dumped.


His phone was traced to Ballyduff and it is believed that this proved to be the crucial breakthrough in the investigation.

The scene was preserved yesterday and the office of the State Pathologist has been notified and a post mortem is due to take place today.