| 15.2°C Dublin

Bloodbath fears as 'Bottler' Devoy is back on the streets


Derek Devoy

Derek Devoy

Derek Devoy

Armed gardai are closely monitoring gangland thug Derek 'Bottler' Devoy who walked free from Mountjoy Prison yesterday morning.

The 35-year-old was let out of jail two days ahead of his release date.

Sources say that "security concerns" are the reason for the gangster's early release with fears that the same mob who shot his brother Mickey dead last year are now intent on killing him.

'Bottler' (35) was picked up in a car being driven by a female relative before being driven from the north Dublin jail complex.

Ballymun man Devoy has been locked up since 2007 and has been serving sentences for for the attempted armed robbery of a post office in Balbriggan and the non-fatal drive-by shooting at two of his neighbours in Ballymun in September, 2005.

Despite the threats, Devoy has told pals that he intends to stay in Dublin and this has posed a security headache for gardai because there is a "contract on his head".

It is believed that the deadly feud started over an unpaid debt of around €30,000 which caused a row between Devoy's associates and a south inner city gang.


'Bottler' was said to be distraught about the murder of his brother who was known as 'Mad Mickey' in January of last year but he was not given temporary release from Mountjoy Prison to attend his funeral due to concerns of bloodshed.

The investigation into the murder of Bottler's brother remains active.

But the last major development in the case happened in November when a 24-year-old man from the north inner city was arrested.

Mickey Devoy's body was riddled with bullets before it was discovered on the side of the road in Bohernabreena late on the night of January 18, 2014.

Gardai later discovered that the same mob who murdered Devoy also planed to kill two brothers who were friendly with the murder victim but this has failed to happen so far.

It is also believed that the same gang targeted window cleaner John O'Regan (48) who was shot dead as he cycled to work at Gateway Avenue, Ballymun on April 15 last.

Sources say this is because they blamed O'Regan for stealing the car which was used in a botched hit on a drugs trafficker carried out by 'Mad Mickey' outside a north city pub in October 2013.