| 6°C Dublin

'Blood everywhere' as Wayne Bradley suffers savage jail beating


Wayne Bradley

Wayne Bradley

Wayne Bradley

Gangland thug Wayne Bradley was being treated in hospital last night after receiving a severe beating in an exercise yard in Mountjoy Prison yesterday.

Bradley (35) was attacked by three other inmates during the sustained assault in the A Wing yard.

It has been a bad few days for Bradley after he was moved from the relatively cushy regime in the training unit at Mountjoy in the regular prison. This came after the Herald revealed last Friday that he had been breaching the terms of his temporary release. When Bradley was moved out of the training unit, prison officers carried out a raid and seized a number of mobile phones.

It is not known if Bradley was attacked because of the "heat" he has brought on fellow inmates, or because of a separate jail feud in which he is involved.

"He received a large number of punches and kicks and he lost a lot of blood. There was blood everywhere. He was set on by three other inmates," a jail source said.

"After the assault, he was taken for treatment at the Mater Hospital. The matter is being investigated by the prison authorities."

When Bradley recovers from his injuries, he is likely to be moved back to high-security Portlaoise Prison where his older brother Alan 'Fatpuss' Bradley is doing time.

Wayne Bradley's serious troubles began last week when the Herald revealed he was driving around in a car and visiting his Finglas home as well as using a mobile phone.

Bradley, who was moved to the Mountjoy training unit in September, had been given daily temporary release to pursue an HGV driving course.


However, as a serving prisoner he is not allowed to drive a car or use his time off to spend at his home, nor is he allowed to have a mobile phone.

Our investigation revealed that he was doing all of these things, which resulted in his temporary release being revoked.

Bradley is serving a five-year sentence for his role in a 2007 raid at a Tesco store in Celbridge, Co Kildare, under the direction of slain gang boss Eamon 'The Don' Dunne.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice has confirmed that 242 prisoners were granted varying periods of temporary release this Christmas.