A family who were rescued from their blazing Dublin city flat at the weekend returned to find their clothes and children's toys had been stolen after the fire.
Malaysian couple Wan Aamani and Norfadilah Bintimohd went back to their wrecked Thomas Court home to salvage their belongings, but found callous thieves had got there before them.
The couple, along with their three young children, had to be rescued from the burning flat by fire crews as the building filled with smoke early on Sunday.
They have been staying at a city hotel until they can find a new home, but got a further shock when they found their belongings had been disturbed after the blaze, with clothes, toys and electrical items missing.
"How could someone do this to us?" asked distraught dad Wan.
"We were so lucky to survive the fire. My brain is all over the place. I can't believe someone would rob our home after the fire, we feel terrible," he added.
Chef Wan (40), Norfadilah (32) and their children Hakimi (3), Harraz (5) and Hafizi (7) had to be pulled from their flat by firefighters who first had to cut metal bars off the windows.
Nine people in total were rescued from the fire which was spotted by a passer-by at 3am on Sunday morning.
But when the family went back to collect whatever they could salvage they found a padlock their landlord had used to secure the property had been broken and thieves had smashed their way in.
Wan and his wife are now looking for a new home but say it is proving difficult.