Two of Dublin's best known bingo halls have beome protected buildings.
Whitehall Grand Cinema and Cabra Grand Cinema were both added to the list of protected structures following a vote of Dublin City Councillors last month.
The Cabra Grand building opened as a 1,600-seat theatre in 1949 and the 1,000-seater Whitehall Grand opened its doors in 1954.
By the 1970s both cinemas had closed down. However, they are still a focal point for the community after being purchased by Gael Linn to be used as bingo halls.
Council officials recommended that just the facades be protected.
In the case of the Whitehall bingo hall, located on Collins Avenue, the front facade including the box offices were added to the list.
Meanwhile, the Cabra Grand's front block lobby, the main foyer and the main staircase are protected.
Dermot Bolger: Page 16