ADRIAN Ernest Bayley's parents pleaded with Australian authorities to take action months before he raped and murdered Jill Meagher.
The sexual predator's family had grave concerns about his behaviour and met with authorities to raise their fears.
But the tip-off led to a confrontation between Bayley and his relatives which resulted in him leaving the family home.
He moved in with his girlfriend in the Melbourne suburb of Coburg, only a kilometre from where he attacked and killed 29-year-old Jill.
A review of the parole board system in the Australian state of Victoria has been ordered after it emerged that serial rapist Bayley was on release when he targeted the Drogheda woman.
A court in Melbourne heard yesterday how Bayley (41) had a history of violent attacks on women spanning two decades.
The Victorian Parole Board failed to cancel his parole after a violent assault.
He was on temporary release on rape charges and on bail for an assault when he carried out the brutal attack on Jill.
Victorian premier Denis Napthine said: "We treat these matters as very serious matters. The system was flawed. The system failed Jill Meagher."
He added that legislative changes introduced in the wake of her death ensured a gap in the law has been closed. Meanwhile, a stripper who regularly performed for Bayley in a club in Melbourne has claimed that he openly spoke about his desire to "choke women".
The woman, named Sam, told a television station that the murderer would pay for a private dance and would sometimes simulate strangling her.
"He would touch my neck and he would talk about how he liked my neck or how he liked rough sex and things like that," she said.
"It was quite threatening physically and I did have to ask him to leave the dance room early once or twice."
The stripper works in a club in Brunswick – situated close to where Jill was murdered.
She said that she suffered panic attacks after photographs of Bayley were released into the media.
Bayley was on parole for rape and bail for a savage pub attack when he murdered the Irish radio producer. He was previously convicted of 17 counts of rape and attempted rape involving eight victims – the youngest was just 16.
A court in Melbourne heard how he was on parole from an 11-year prison sentence for 16 of the rapes against five prostitutes when he targeted Jill.
Details of his depraved criminal history were laid bare for the first time at the Supreme Court of Victoria at a pre-sentence hearing.
Prosecutor Gavin Silbert said Bayley had a history of horrific attacks on women dating back more than 20 years, and he killed Jill after raping her because he could not face going back to jail.
Mr Silbert said Bayley was still in his teens when he raped his sister's teenage girlfriend, attempted to rape and threatened to kill a 17-year-old and attempted to rape a 16-year-old hitchhiker he abducted.
Bayley has previously pleaded guilty to the murder and rape of Ms Meagher, who was attacked in Brunswick in the early hours of September 22 last year.
Sentencing is on June 19.