| 0.6°C Dublin

Alert as associate of gang linked to three murders to leave jail


Wayne Bussy

Wayne Bussy

Wayne Bussy

A garda alert will be in place this weekend as a close associate of one of the country's most dangerous criminal gangs is due to be released from prison.

Wayne Bussy (37) is an ally of a mob who are suspected of at least three murders.

Gardai have classified the gang as one of the country's most dangerous criminal organisations and the jailed leader of the mob was recently refused bail on the serious charges that he is facing.

The gang are suspected of murdering Willie Maughan (34) and his partner Anna Varslavane (21), who were last seen in the Gormanston area of Co Meath on April 14 last year.

They are also linked to the murder of 35-year-old Benny Whitehouse, who was shot dead outside a school in Balbriggan almost two years ago.

Soon-to-be-freed Bussy is a close pal of the jailed gangster who leads the crime outfit.

He is originally from Manchester and has been a long-term target for gardai investigating organised crime, who busted him for his involvement in a stolen car ring.


In December 2014, he admitted at Dublin Circuit Court to handling a stolen Skoda Octavia car, valued at €7,000, at the car-park of the City North Hotel at Gormanston on June 25, 2011.

He also admitted a separate charge of handling a stolen Skoda Fabia car at the Coachman's Inn at Cloghran, north Dublin, on a date in October 2011.

Last December, Bussy was found guilty before Swords District Court of assaulting his former partner at Prospect, Naul Road, Balbriggan.

She claimed she was at home in bed at around 3am on June 27, 2014, when she heard banging and screaming at the front door.

The woman said Bussy was shouting "let me in, you b***h".

She opened the door and told him to go away, but he pushed in and walked around, saying "there's someone here".

She said he was drunk and agitated and didn't believe her when she said it was only her and their daughter in the house.

The victim tried to calm him down and said he could sleep on the sofa, but he told her "we're sleeping together", before throwing her mobile phone on the ground.

She said the three of them went to bed, and he asked her if she loved him. She told him she didn't love him.


She said he then punched her in the face, five or six times, and her head hit off the wall. She suffered a cut lip and a black eye, and there was blood dripping from her face. Bussy claimed his ex-partner had the injuries when he came home.

Shown a picture of his ex-partner's black eye, he claimed it could be "make-up".

He further alleged she was very possessive and jealous.