| 18.2°C Dublin

Acid attack father had no enemies, says shocked wife

A FATHER-of-two has suffered horrific face and head injuries in an unprovoked acid attack. Innocent Sylvester Wnukowicz was outside his Dublin home when a man walked up and splashed him in the face with highly corrosive liquid. Gardai have launched a massive investigation amid fears that the dad could be left completely blind.

The victim's wife Magdalena told the Herald: "It was horrible and we don't know what has happened, we are very friendly people and we don't have any trouble here.

"He (her husband) had burns all across his face and neck and everything. His clothes were completely burned as well. He got morphine to make him sleep because the pain is so strong."

It is understood that the acid "corroded into his skull area".

"This was a particularly nasty incident and a very unusual crime to occur in Ireland," a source told the Herald.

"Investigations are still at an early stage and gardai are taking this matter extremely seriously."

The victim, a 33-year-old Polish man, is not known to gardai for any involvement in crime. He sustained severe damage to both eyes in the shocking attack.

Ms Wnukowicz (30) explained how the attack came out of the blue as the young man prepared to go to work.

"He was ready to go to work because he should start work at 6.30am, he was preparing breakfast and he was making coffee and he smoked a cigarette at the front door.

"Somebody asked him about the neighbour and he did not have time to tell him so he just pointed at it and somebody threw something in his face. I don't know if he had a bottle or a cup," she said.

Sylvester is a truck driver with Masterlink and the couple, who have been married for 10 years, have two children, Marcelina (5) and Maciej (2). They have lived in Ireland for six years.

Magdalena said her husband had never seen his attackers before.

She was on her way home from work from the nightshift in Superquinn, Blanchardstown, when the attack happened.

After the attack Sylvester went back into the house and waited for the emergency services.

"I think straight after that he just washed his face. He put a lot of cold water on his face. That is all he could do. I don't know what the man put on his face but it must have been strong," she said.

Detectives are working on the theory that the attack was carried out by what is described as an "Asian-looking man aged between 30 and 40".

The man was standing on the doorstep of his home in the Redwood estate in Hollystown, near Tyrrellstown, Dublin 15, early yesterday. He was rushed to hospital and is today in a critical condition in the burns unit of St James's Hospital.