| 4.2°C Dublin

A YOUTH, who brandished a Stanley blade at two primary schoolboys during a mugging on the Dodder Walkway in Dublin, has been spared a criminal record and a sentence.

A YOUTH, who brandished a Stanley blade at two primary schoolboys during a mugging on the Dodder Walkway in Dublin, has been spared a criminal record and a sentence.

The 16-year-old boy was given a chance and received the Probation Act after the Dublin Children's Court heard he is "on the straight and narrow" and had successfully completed a restorative justice crime diversion programme.

Judge John O'Connor said the boy, who had also impressed the victims' parents, had made "significant progress" and the Probation Service believed there was no risk he would re-offend. He had written letters of apology, paid compensation and is taking part in an educational course.

Det Garda Bryan Hunt also confirmed that the boy has not come to further notice.

The victims and their families were satisfied with the way the court has dealt with the boy and that "he is on the straight and narrow", said Det Gda Hunt. The investigating detective also said the boy was "led by an older co-accused" who is before the adult courts.

As he applied the Probation Act, Judge John O'Connor told the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, "I mean this in a nice way, I hope never to see you in court again," adding, at the outcome of the case, that "it has been very positive all round."

Earlier the court had heard that the sixth class primary school pupils were held up at knife-point by two people at the Dodder Walkway, in Irishtown, Dublin 4, on May 19 last.

The 16-year-old boy pleaded guilty to robbery of one of the boys who had his phone worth €150 stolen.

The youth, who had no prior criminal convictions, also pleaded guilty to connected charges for producing the blade during the course of a robbery and attempted robbery.

The city's juvenile court heard the two young boys had been approached by two people who both produced Stanley blades.

The first-time offender's father had also given evidence stating it was his belief his son may have been intoxicated at the time.

Judge O'Connor had also heard at an early stage in the case that the youth was remorseful.

Another youth who faces charges in connection with the incident has had his case adjourned until a date in February.


Privacy