| 11.6°C Dublin

A summer of cold-blooded murders across the capital

CONVICTED Republican criminal Frank Nolan had a lucky escape when a teenage assassin botched a shooting attempt on him on Wednesday in Ballyfermot.

But seven other people have not been so lucky in what was a bloody summer for the capital.

The first gun victim in Dublin in 2011 was Paul McCarthy. The 19-year-old died after being shot in a house at Myra Close, Inchicore, on the afternoon of May 9.

Despite five arrests in the case, there have been no charges yet.


A fortnight later Dean Johnson (20) was blasted up to six times with a handgun as he sat in the back of a car just yards from his home at Moorefield Avenue in Neilstown, West Dublin.

Johnson, who was linked to a number of savage assaults in the months before he was shot dead, was executed as part of a local dispute.

Two brothers have emerged as the chief suspects and it is understood that they fled Dublin to a caravan park in Co Wexford in the weeks after the killing.

It was in nearby Clondalkin that the third gun killing of this summer happened when Continuity IRA criminal Liam Kenny (53) was shot dead at his home in Shancastle Avenue.

Gardai believe that Kenny was killed as part of a bitter internal feud between dissident terrorists.

The first gun murder to occur in north Dublin this year was that of Michael Taylor (53) who died in Beaumont Hospital on June 6, the day after he was shot repeatedly at a privately-owned caravan park in Donabate.

Taylor was murdered as part of a bitter north inner city feud which has been raging across the capital since 2006.

Just a week later, Edward Flanagan (49) from Coolock, was killed in an apartment at Larch Hill, Santry.


The next gun slaying happened on the other side of the River Liffey on June 25 when Darren Cogan (19) was shot dead when a gunman burst into the Black Horse Inn, Inchicore, and opened fire.

When the gunman finished firing at Cogan and his friend -- who was injured but survived the attack -- the killer walked outside and fired a number of shots at the pub.

The last gun murder in the capital happened only last weekend when Traveller Tom McDonagh (49) died in a hail of gunfire last Saturday night when he was ambushed at his caravan by at least two men, one of whom fired around 15 shots from an automatic pistol at him.

The shocking incident happened at the St Margaret's halting site in Ballymun and sources believe McDonagh owed money to a Finglas drugs gang.