| 5.3°C Dublin

A birthday bomb scare for pals who snubbed his party

A man who caused a bomb scare at a Dublin nightclub leading to its evacuation is to perform community service.

Kris Holmes (21) made a hoax bomb call to gardai on his own mobile phone "in a moment of madness" after some of his friends did not join him at another nightclub where he had his 21st birthday party.

Holmes, of Kildare Road, Crumlin, pleaded guilty to making a false report that there was a bomb in Barcode Nightclub, Westwood Club, Clontarf Road on April 12, 2009.


Judge Katherine Delahunt told Holmes that people who make these kinds of calls usually end up serving custodial sentences, but she did not believe that he or the community would be best served by incarcerating him.

She ordered that he carry out 100 hours of community service in lieu of a one-year sentence if he is assessed as suitable to do so by the Probation Service. The maximum penalty for this offence is five years imprisonment.

Judge Delahunt ordered him to pay €1,000 to Focus Ireland and €1,000 to The Samaritans.

Garda Lisa Sheehan told Mr Paul Carroll, prosecuting, that a call was made at 1.16am from a mobile phone to the 999 emergency line stating there was a bomb in Barcode Nightclub. The busy club was evacuated for a short time while gardai carried out a search but they found no suspicious devices.

Garda Sheehan said they quickly traced the mobile phone number to Holmes, who was the registered owner, and attended at his home on April 24. He was arrested and admitted making the call.

He told gardai initially that he had been refused entry to the club and later said friends of his whom he thought should have come to his 21st birthday party had gone to Barcode instead.

Holmes said he made the call from Dame Street near the club he went to. He apologised and said he had had too much to drink on the night. He has no previous convictions and lives with his parents.

Defence counsel Mr Cormac Quinn said Holmes had been holding his birthday celebrations at SIN nightclub in Dame Street but some of his friends went to Barcode instead and he had been refused entry.

Mr Quinn said he had made the threat "in a moment of madness " because he felt his friends should come to his party.

He said Holmes had got "the fright of his life" due to this court case and he will never reoffend again.