| 4.7°C Dublin

14-year-old arrested, quizzed over horror stab attack


Savage knife attack happened near the CHQ building

Savage knife attack happened near the CHQ building

Savage knife attack happened near the CHQ building

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested in relation to a knife attack that led to an office cleaner needing life-saving surgery after she was stabbed in the neck.

The teenager was being questioned yesterday by detectives at Store Street garda station after his arrest on Thursday night.

He is from the capital's north inner city and, despite his age, has had previous interactions with gardaí.

The 48-year-old victim remained yesterday in a critical condition in the Mater Hospital following the attack on Wednesday night.

Sources said there are "grave fears" that she may not survive.

She is the mother of at least two children and has been living in Dublin for a number of years.

Gardaí are not looking for anyone else in relation to the attack, were to decide last night on charging or releasing the teenager.

"Gardaí in Store Street investigating the serious assault that occurred on the pedestrian walkway between Georges Dock and Custom House Quay, IFSC, on Wednesday night have made an arrest," a garda spokeswoman said.


"A juvenile has been arrested and is currently detained at Store Street garda station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984."

The attack happened near the CHQ building.

A lone male on a bicycle approached the woman, who was walking home from work, and demanded money.

He then stabbed her without warning before fleeing empty-handed.

Despite her injuries, which resulted in considerable loss of blood, the woman was able to call emergency services from her mobile phone.

Gardaí and ambulance personnel were quickly on the scene, and she was rushed to the Mater Hospital where she underwent life-saving surgery.

The area has "excellent quality CCTV", and detectives were able to make rapid progress in their investigations.

"This lady is very, very lucky to be alive," a source said.

"This was a very savage crime. She didn't even put up a fight and presented no threat to the attacker.

"The area was deserted at the time because of all the travel restrictions.

"Gardaí are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who was in the vicinity of Custom House Quay, George's Dock, Harbourmaster Place or Connolly station between 9.15pm and 10pm on Wednesday, January 20, to contact gardaí.

"Any individuals who may have camera footage of this incident is asked to make it available."