Man (33) fights for life after savage city attack

Conor Feehan

A MAN remains in a serious condition in Beaumont Hospital today after being attacked in the Clondalkin area.

The brutal assault happened in broad daylight beside a green area on Melrose Avenue at 4.30pm on Saturday.

The victim, named locally as Brian Murphy (33) from nearby Deansrath Grove, was first rushed to Tallaght Hospital, but he was later transferred to Beaumont, which has a special unit for dealing with head injuries.


Locals say the green is a common gathering ground for young people in the area. It is littered with bottles and other debris, and was searched by gardai after the attack.

It is not known what weapon may have been used in the attack. The victim's family today declined to comment on the incident.

Gardai are trying to find a motive for the incident, and believe that Mr Murphy may have been attacked by an individual who held a personal grudge against him.

A source said: "This was a particularly violent attack and the fact that it was carried out in broad daylight is even worse. The victim was initially in Tallaght Hospital, but had to be moved to Beaumont after his condition worsened. However he has now been stabilised."

Gardai at Clondalkin wish to appeal for witnesses to the serious assault. They are keen to talk to anyone who was in the vicinity of Melrose Avenue and may have witnessed the attack, or anyone who may have any information regarding the assault.

They are asked to contact the incident room at Clondalkin Garda Station on 6667600 or the Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800-666-111.

Meanwhile, a man remains in a stable condition at Kerry General Hospital after being stabbed in Tralee.

Gardai detained and questioned a 19-year-old man in relation to the incident which occurred in the Oakpark area of the town at 2.45am yesterday.

The man was later released and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

A garda spokesman said the victim, who is in his early 20s, was in a stable condition.