Man (32) knifed 40 times and dumped in laneway named

Forensic officers at the scene

Alan O'Keeffe

Gardai yesterday named a Polish man who was found stabbed to death and dumped in a laneway in north Dublin.

The body of Michal Kurek (32) was discovered at 10.40am on Friday near Ballyboughal - he had been knifed more than 40 times.

He was reportedly found face down and fully clothed. Gardai suspect he was murdered in another location and his body later moved by car and dumped.


His body was discovered in a laneway off the R129 Ballyboughal to Oldtown Road, about 1km outside Ballyboughal, Co Dublin.

Detectives moved swiftly to rule out a gangland connection to the man's murder.

It is understood that detectives are trying to contact the man's family in Poland.

Investigating gardai ap- pealed to the public for information in relation to Mr Kurek's recent movements, and to friends and associates to contact the incident room at Balbriggan Garda Station on 01-802 0510, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any garda station.

Gardai were not sure how long the body had been in the laneway, Superintendent Noel Carolan said at a press briefing at Balbriggan Garda Station.

A grim discovery like this was "extremely rare" for the north Co Dublin area, he added, and urged anyone who has been in the locality over the last week to get in touch with gardai.

"Anyone who was here over the last day or two and who saw anything suspicious or unusual, like vehicles or people in the area, please get in contact with us at Balbriggan Garda Station," he said.

"We'd like anyone, his family, his work colleagues, who would be in a position to come forward and let us know when they last saw him."


The body could have been dumped in the laneway up to two days before it was found, Supt Carolan told the briefing.

"In all probability, we are probably looking at a situation where the fatal injuries did not take place here," he said.

That indicates a car was used to transport him to the scene and that there is a crime scene in another location where the actual injuries were sustained. CCTV was also being checked.

His last known address was in Blanchardstown but he had been living rough in recent years and had issues with alcohol.