lucan back in the top flight

Nohilly brace secures U14 FL Division 2 title

Colin O’Donnell



LUCAN Sarsfields rocketed back to Dublin U14 Football League Division One after a resounding victory over Ballymun at a stormy 12th Lock on Saturday. The rough conditions controlled the game as a gale kept the visitors scoreless in the opening half while Lucan clocked up a 1-9 lead.

After relegation last year, the hosts looked like a team on a mission, defying the blustery conditions with acute accuracy in front of the sticks.

In the opening minute, Harry Ladd flicked the ball into hand before releasing Daire Newcombe, who used the wind to full effect, floating over from out on the right. Corner-forward Ladd soon extended the lead, winning the ball with back to goal before pointing on the turn à la Colm Cooper. The skilled number 15 pulled the home side clear shortly after, collecting the breaking ball before blasting over from 20 metres.


The Mun rearguard remained tight as points were hard earned. Lucan half-forward Luke Farrell eventually broke through the full-back line, but his goal-bound shot was flicked wide by the cat-like reflexes of goalie Ben McEvoy.

The lads in green went in search of a vital goal, conscious of the wind they'd face shortly. Conor Callaghan began to impose himself at full-forward and found Amos Nohily who unleashed a low flying bullet to the right corner of the goal, putting Lucan 1-9 to 0-0 ahead at the break.

Conditions worsened in the second half, with the 12fth Lock side pinned down in their own half, but Ballymun failed to take advantage, kicking five wides in three minutes.

The game grew scrappy. Fifteen minutes in, Ladd jinked inside before finding the onrushing Nohily, whose misfired shot rebounded back to him and the talented number 10 made no mistake the second time around.

The Mun grew in confidence towards the end, Sean Perkins hit their first score on 49 minutes before Myles O'Rourke dribbled soccer-like goalwards before calmly slotting through the keeper's legs. A Darragh Conlon free looked to have sailed a yard inside the upright, but it was ruled wide by the umpire. Lucan closed up shop to ensure Division One football in a club where the small ball has taken precedence in recent years.