A HEALTHY breakfast can give you and your family the energy you need for the day ahead. Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day.
Here are som healthy breakfast options and tips.
Why eat breakfast?
* Boost energy and essential nutrients. If you, or the kids, skip breakfast you can miss out on valuable nutrients.
* Regulate your appetite and avoid over-eating later in the day. A high-fibre breakfast can help you feel fuller for longer.
Examples of tasty and healthy breakfasts would be:
* 2 slices of wholegrain toast spread with Flora
* A glass of juice or a piece of fruit
* A tub of yoghurt or glass of milk
These provides essential fatty acids; omega 3 and 6, calcium, iron, fibre, Vitamin D, B Vitamins, folic acid, magnesium, and zinc.
Prepare breakfast in advance
We all lead busy lives, but rather than rush or skip breakfast, prepare as much as you can the night before:
* Get bowls and spoons ready for use
* Wash, slice and portion out fruit
* Hard boil the eggs
* For older kids, have a selection of "do-it-yourself" breakfast foods, such as cereal, fruit, milk, juice and muffins.
At the weekends we tend to have more time to spend on breakfast.
Healthy, tasty weekend breakfasts include:
* Scrambled eggs on wholewheat bread, spread with Flora
* Smoked salmon on wholegrain bagels
* Fruit salad with yoghurt
If you're looking for some inspiration for new breakfast options, why not try these delicious multi-seed energy Bars (see previous page) from my Flora Taste team colleague Nessa Robbins – great for lunchboxes, too!