Hospital's €13m unit unstuck by floor glue

Clodagh Sheehy

FAULTY floor adhesive has delayed the opening of a €13m acute psychiatric unit at Dublin's Beaumont Hospital for another three months.

The unit, which will serve 250,000 people in the north Dublin area, was due to open by September/October at the latest.

But it is now unlikely to be ready for patients until the end of January.

Anne Marie Hoey, area manager for HSE Dublin North told deputy Joe Higgins that the delay was due to a problem with floor glue.

"An issue with the adhesive compound used to fix the flooring finishes" was identified by HSE inspectors, Ms Hoey said.

They "deemed the quality not to be of sufficient standard" and ordered the contractor to replace it and it was now "anticipated the unit will be operational in late January 2014".

The sod for the new building was originally turned by Health Minister James Reilly two years ago this month.

The Minister said at the time that the unit was due for completion in the first six months of this year.

The new facility, which replaces inpatient accommodation at St Ita's Hospital in Portrane, has 44 beds.

They are all located in single rooms, with five internal gardens and a courtyard designed to help patients avail of the different activities and spaces there.

It includes 38 beds for general acute psychiatry and six for old age psychiatry, with four zoned areas.

The unit will also provide academic training and continuing professional education for medical nursing and other health care professionals.


On July 11 of this year, deputy Higgins was told that the unit was complete and ready for handover from the contractor, pending final snagging, and it was expected it would be operational to take patients in "September/October".

The HSE has confirmed to the Herald that the unit was handed over to North Dublin Mental Health Services on Thursday last, October 31.

A spokeswoman for the HSE said the flooring issue had been rectified and "consequently it is now proposed that the new unit will be equipped and commissioned by early 2014".