Hero dad saves gardai in tiger kidnap gun drama

TERROR: Hostage tipped off unarmed officers

Charlie Mallon

A TERRIFIED cash manager warned gardai they could be shot -- as two armed raiders held him up.

The father-of-three shouted at two unarmed officers as they arrived in the doorway of his Crumlin home -- where four men were holding his wife and family.

The Chubb worker shouted to the two young officers, "Get down, get down, they have guns".

The two officers then summoned armed back-up, as the raiders fled the scene.

Further details of the botched tiger raid, which took place in Crumlin last week, are now emerging.

The case will feature on RTE's Crimecall next week.

The group of men terrorised Mr O'Farrell's family in their own home, handcuffing the dad and his 14-year-old son, before their plan was scuppered.

Gardai believe that some -- but not all -- of the gang may have had local knowledge.

The mob targeted the Windmill Crescent home of the cash- in-transit boss, who works with the Ballyfermot-based security firm Chubb, on November 28.

One raider knocked at the door and when it was answered, he pushed his way in, followed by another man. Both were armed with handguns.

The security boss, his wife and three children aged from five to 14, were inside at the time.


They were joined by two other men as they screamed and shouted as to the location of any panic alarms.

The security boss was repeatedly asked if he had already pushed the button.

But the tiger raid came to nothing when a member of the public saw a scuffle going on inside and alerted gardai.

Two young officers went to the scene and when they went to the door, the security boss warned them of the danger.

A garda source said: "He shouted get down, get down, they have guns."

All four raiders ran out the back door and over a wall to a silver Nissan 4x4 that was waiting in Kildare Road, with a fifth man inside.

They made off and the SUV was later found abandoned and on fire at Hughes Road South close by. A revolver was recovered inside.

While gardai believe the operation was planned locally, they do not know the individual on CCTV footage.