Garda 'saw victim's jawbone exposed' after alleged knife attack, court hears

Graham McGuinness is charged with assault causing harm

Andrew Phelan

A young man suffered "life-altering injuries" when he was slashed across his face and body with a Stanley blade in an attack on the steps of a Dublin garda station, a court has heard.

Graham McGuinness (28) is alleged to have carried out the assault on the man, whose face was so deeply cut his jawbone was left exposed.

The injured man told gardai he feared he would have been killed if they had not intervened in the alleged attack outside Store Street Garda Station.


Mr McGuinness was granted bail subject to strict conditions and the case was adjourned at Dublin District Court.

Mr McGuinness, with an address at a homeless hostel in Navan, Co Meath, is charged with assault causing harm and possession of a knife.

The prosecuting garda told Judge Michael Walsh he was transporting a prisoner to the station at 12.30am on June 11 when he saw an argument taking place outside.

There were a number of males involved and the garda met the alleged victim, who had deep cuts.

He pointed to a man running away who, he said, was the culprit. The running man had something in his right hand and he fled on to the late-night bus to Navan.

The garda said he saw the accused run up the stairs to the top deck and, realising he had nowhere to go, he came back down the stairs and "attempted to hide" the blade.

The man "received serious, life-altering" cuts to his face, neck, back and arms, he said.

The injuries included a cut to the right side of his face that was seven inches long and one inch deep, from his ear across his cheek.

"I could see his jawbone exposed," the garda said.

Another cut narrowly missed an artery, and a cut to the left arm was five inches long. It was alleged all the injuries were caused by Mr McGuinness using a blade.

It happened 3m from the main door of the garda station, the court heard. The alleged victim was taken to the Mater Hospital.

"He said if not for our intervention, it was his belief that he would have been killed," the garda said.

Defence solicitor John Quinn applied for bail and the garda said he was only amenable to it under strict conditions.

Judge Walsh said the allegations were "very, very serious" but said the accused was presumed innocent and granted bail, subject to independent sureties of €1,000 being approved by the court.

Mr McGuinness must have no contact with the alleged victim, stay out of Dublin and observe a curfew. He was remanded in custody with consent to bail to appear at Cloverhill District Court on June 18, for the directions of the DPP.