Footballer died while eating bag of chips

Eimear Ni Bhraonain

A YOUNG GAA player died of a heart attack as he ate a bag of chips after a football match.

Friends of Martin Sheridan, below, thought the 22-year-old had choked on a chip as they tried to resuscitate him.

However, an inquest into his death at Carlow Coroner's Court yesterday found the young sportsman had died from heart failure caused by a sudden and irregular heart beat. Mr Sheridan, from Coill Dubh, Co Kildare, had a pacemaker fitted some years ago as he suffered from a heart defect. He had played football on the night he died on September 3.

The footballer had gone into Carlow town with his teammates after the game finished for a couple of pints and some food when tragedy struck.

Mr Sheridan was sitting in the back of his friend's car eating a take-away when he appeared to lose his breath. His friends thought he was choking and removed him from the car before calling an ambulance.