Fionnbarra nail Gaels

Full-forward line led by Tobin run riot over Trinity in Dublin MFC 'B' final

NAOMH FIONNBARRA produced an outstanding first-half performance having clinically accounted for a brave Trinity Gaels outfit by 6-13 to 0-7 in their Dublin MFC 'B' final at O'Toole Park last Sunday morning.



By half-time, the contest was effectively settled as the Cabra lads had struck for five superb goals by then and although their opponents showed huge heart in maintaining their challenge after the break, they never looked likely to launch an unexpected comeback.

Most of the damage was executed by Fionnbarra's talented inside-forward line of Seán Tobin, Lee Cooney and Wayne Losty who accumulated 6-9 of their side's tally and they looked threatening throughout the sixty minutes.

After falling behind to a free by Seán Boylan-Behan in the opening minute, it was Losty who set Finbarrs on the way when racing through unopposed before crashing a low shot past a badly-exposed Darren Ling in the 5th minute.

The exchanges were evenly shared at this early stage but Finbarrs gradually began to exert control on affairs with Cooney extending their lead through a 10th minute free by Cooney.

Although Daniel Guerin kicked a fine score for Trinity soon after, their looseness in defence was beginning to trouble them and Lotsy took full advantage in the 13th minute with another precise finish across Ling.

Chances were being created with regularity by Naomh Fionnbarra and further points by Tobin and Ryan Curley preceded another high-quality goal as Tobin collected a lengthy delivery before turning adroitly for a composed finished to the net from eight yards.

A free by Boylan-Behan briefly stalled Finbarrs' momentum but normal service was resumed in the 25th minute as Lotsy turned provider when feeding Cooney for the simplest of finishes from close range.

Naomh Fionnbarra were running riot at this stage and it was hardly a surprise when they added a fifth goal four minutes before the break with Lotsy once again supplying the final pass for Tobin to crash home another smart finish.


The margin could have been greater when the leaders were awarded a penalty in the 28th minute but Ling dived full-stretch to his left when pulling off a cracking stop to thwart Cooney's left-foot shot.

Leading by 5-5 to 0-3 at the break, Naomh Fionnbarra pulled further clear in the second-half as Tobin and Cooney added frees to their imposing tally with Gaels harshly pulled up after a number of seemingly innocuous challenges.

However, it was a far more competitive contest from that point with Jason Costelloe highlighting his undoubted potential with an excellent solo score for Trinity Gaels in the 36th minute.

The Donaghmede lads improved defensively upon the restart and they held their opponents scoreless for ten minutes before Tobin raced clear down the end-line in the 45th minute prior to slipping a calm finish beyond Ling for his third goal of the game.

Stephen Robinson and Boylan-Behan added points for Gaels towards the end as they searched in vain for a consolation goal with Karl Grimes denying Costelloe with a sprawling dive two minutes from time.

There was still time for Cabra boys to add to their lead as substitute Seán McDonnell kicked a brace of fine scores upon his introduction, confirming a deserved victory and championship success for the Blues.