The Boss is back.
Bruce Springsteen is set to rock out at not one, but two gigs in Croke Park this summer.
A source has told the Herald that the act due to be announced for the Dublin stadium this Friday is “a well-known American musician whose songs include ‘Born in the USA’ and who appeals to all ages”.
Rumours began circulating when GAA director general Paraic Duffy confirmed earlier this week that another concert would be held in Croke Park this summer.
Springsteen last played in Dublin in the RDS in the summer of 2012, with two sold-out shows.
The Herald can also reveal that one gig will be announced on Friday with another being announced on Saturday.
Springsteen’s two concerts will follow the planned gig by The Script on June 20. The US rocker’s concerts and The Script gig will bring the total amount of non-sporting events in the stadium to three for 2015 – the permitted number of shows for Croke Park under a 2009 agreement.
Local politicians have been holding high-level meetings with organisers in a bid to avoid another Garth Brooks debacle when the country music singer was forced to cancel his gigs after a series of objections last summer.
“An impartial liaison officer, to work between the residents and Croke Park will be appointed,” said the Lord Mayor Christy Burke.
“Myself and Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe have been working on this as representatives in the area and there will be a meeting in the Mansion House with authorities from the GAA at the end of the month to appoint this liaison officer.
“We have to move on learn from the lessons of the past,” Mr Burke told the Herald.
The news follows the cancellation of all five Garth Brooks concerts scheduled for last July, after licences for two of the five concerts were not granted by Dublin City Council.
One Direction played three nights at the national stadium last May, eating up all three nights of non-sporting events, that are permitted under the 2009 deal.