Herald

| 9°C Dublin

Things happen for a reason, says Sile as show axed

SILE Seoige has said she is a "big believer in things happening for a reason" after being axed from station Newstalk.

And the 34-year-old could return to the airwaves soon after a rival station expressed an interest in signing her up.

Joe Harrington, the boss of Dublin station Sunshine 106.8, has revealed the type of interactive entertainment programme Shenanigans With Sile she hosted on Newstalk could work well on his station, and said he would welcome a chat with her.

"Sile has an instantly recognisable voice and a huge media profile which would be a boost for any broadcaster. She's enjoyed great success, and to their credit, Newstalk have spent the last three years developing her talents for radio. She could easily make the move to a new station and bring her listeners with her," he said.

COMPLIMENTED

The station chief revealed how he had complimented Sile on her Newstalk show only last week when they met at an MCD summer party, little realising her relationship with her former employer was coming to an end.

"We had a good chat about radio and the show she's doing. My advice to Sile would be to start a dialogue with other stations because she's a very talented voice on Irish radio and has a bright future," added Mr Harrington, who is himself a PPI Award winning broadcaster.

Meanwhile, Sile spent yesterday retweeting supportive tweets she had received from listeners and friends shocked by her axing.

She later tweeted: "Thank you all so much for all the tweets. I've had such a brilliant time with the station these past few years. I've loved every second of it!

"I've worked with some amazing people and have made friends for life. And thanks to you guys for tuning in... and making the show the success that it was. I'm really proud of it! Excited about the future? Big believer in things happening for a reason."

REPLACED

Shenanigans With Sile on Saturday afternoons will be replaced in the Newstalk schedule by Dragons' Den star Bobby Kerr and journalist Sarah Carey, who will take over her two-hour slot in three weeks' time.

hnews@herald.ie

Herald


Privacy