SILE'S shenanigans have been silenced.
Gaelgoir's Sile Seoige's radio show has been pulled from Newstalk's schedule.
The Galway girl's weekend show has been on the air since 2010 and was billed as "a fun-filled and interactive entertainment programme, bringing you everything you need to know to set you up for the weekend".
But after three successful years, Sile's show is getting the axe. A radio insider said the 33-year-old's production team were left reeling after hearing the news. "It came as a shock to the entire team," the source said. "They were completely taken aback.
"Sile's figures have been consistently high, especially for a weekend slot. She put her heart and soul into the show. It's come as a real blow for her – especially given the year she's just had," the source added.
Last year, Sile battled with thyroid cancer. She spent six months fighting the illness, including a week in an isolation ward in the Blackrock Clinic where she was dosed with radioactive iodine and had her thyroid removed.
She also broke up with her partner of three years, TV producer Kim Burrows.
"Things have been really tough for her – but she's a fighter and she will recover from this," the source continued. It's been a tumultuous year for Newstalk; CEO Frank Cronin left in February, and in March the entire Off The Ball team resigned from the station.
Last week, Norah Casey announced she would be stepping down from her daily breakfast show but would return in September to present a weekend show. She has already been tipped to take over Sile's weekend slot.
In the meantime, Bobby Kerr's show, Down To Business, will move from its usual Sunday slot to Saturday, 11am to 1pm, starting July 6.
Garrett Harte, Newstalk's station editor, said: "We conducted extensive research into our listener trends and demands. Our schedule changes reflect those results.
"There was a greater demand for key speech-driven shows to hold prime weekend positions and the new weekend schedule showcases the wide and varied content on Newstalk."