| 6.7°C Dublin

RTE bosses yet to reach final decision over life after Gerry for Operation Transformation

RTE have yet to make a decision on whether Operation Transformation will return following the death of show host Gerry Ryan.

One of the biggest ratings winners for the station, it pulled in bulging audience figures for RTE over the course of its three-year run.

But while they have solved the problem of filling Gerry's slot on 2fm by transferring Ryan Tubridy over from Radio 1, finding a new host for the TV show could pose a bigger problem.

Pre-production on the weight-loss show normally starts in the autumn, so a final decision will have to be made soon. An source revealed how no one knows if RTE will rest the show for a year, or bring it back with a different host and a revamped format.

"It's all up in the air and no final decision has been made," she said.

"Gerry was a fundamental part of the programme's success and it's hard to imagine the show without him -- but it was also a very big ratings winner for RTE so it's difficult to see them not bringing it back in some format."

The last series saw the five team leaders shedding a massive 10.5 stone between them by the end of the programme.

And programme fitness guru Karl Henry has expressed his hopes that it will make a return to our small screens.

"A lot of people are still following the recipes and talking on the Facebook site. And I think it is important to keep going as there are still a lot of people's lives we can change with it," he stated.

"Operation Transformation is a life-changing show, a very powerful tool and it gets a great message across."

Series three of the reality programme wound up just two months before Gerry's sudden death -- and its success was part of the reason attributed to him being offered a Saturday night chat show slot.


Pulling in a high of half a million viewers, it was hailed as a huge hit with Irish viewers and Gerry was offered a coveted weekend programme just before his death.

He was found dead at his apartment on Upper Leeson Street last April 30 and was laid to rest amid emotional scenes in Clontarf a week later.

When contacted about the show's status, an RTE spokesperson said: "Our position is that we won't be disclosing any information in relation to New Year programming at this early stage."