| 15.2°C Dublin

Jedward star on the mend after finally having knee op

Edward Grimes is recovering today after receiving vital surgery for a serious knee injury -- three months after his accident.

The spiky-haired twin (18), one half of X Factor sensation Jedward, has finally undergone the essential procedure that threatened to derail their plans for stardom.

A source close to the pair said he's making a "great recovery" after the operation at the Santry Sports Clinic for the torn cruciate ligament he sustained performing at a live concert in the UK in July.

Admitted to the clinic in north Dublin at 9am yesterday he underwent key-hole surgery at 11.30am which continued until 3.30pm.

"He's doing well and is in good spirits. He's only really 18 years old, which helps a lot. We're sure he'll be back on his feet in no time and hopping around the stage as usual," he said.

In an effort to make Edward's stay as comfortable as possible, an extra bed was added to his hospital room in order that twin brother John could join him last night.

Edward had to be rushed to hospital last July after he twisted his knee on stage during an energetic performance at T4 On The Beach, just before they released their debut album, Planet Jedward. But he was forced to put the surgery on the back burner as he and brother John were in the middle of a sell-out tour of Ireland at the time and had too many scheduling commitments.

Now he will have a week-long break to recuperate before returning to work.


"We were meant to fly to LA to discuss the second series of Let Loose but that had to be postponed as he won't be able to travel for a week or so," explained road manager Liam McKenna.

"The show is definitely going to go ahead so we'll probably fly to America the week afterwards instead so it's still all systems go. Edward just needs about a week or so to get over the operation and then he'll be raring to go again."

Former pop star Liam, who used to be in Six, has been put in charge of co-ordinating all the twins' engagements over the coming weeks and said they are "flat out" with the amount of work they have.

Before his surgery, Edward had explained why the surgery was only now taking place this week, a full three months after he sustained the injury to his left leg.

"It's crazy it took so long to get this done but we were waiting for a specialist to become free. There was a full tour we were doing as well, which I did in a leg brace.

"I'm not complaining, though, but I'll be happy to have it fixed," he said.