| 5.6°C Dublin

Cancer-battle Christy is back home

ASLAN singer Christy Dignam made the "first step to recovery" yesterday when he was discharged from hospital.

The 52-year-old has spent the past 10 weeks in Beaumont Hospital where he is receiving chemotherapy for two forms of blood cancer.

However, with his condition improving, the father-of-one was able to return to his northside home after personally thanking the doctors and nurses who had looked after him.

"Today was a day we thought would never come – my dad is being discharged. It's been 10 long weeks and will be a long road, but this is a major step in the right direction.

"Thanks to everyone for their prayers and messages," said daughter Kiera, inset right, who Dignam hopes to give away at her wedding in June. Guitarist Billy McGuinness said: "We're absolutely thrilled with this news.

"After 10 weeks in hospital for Christy, this is the first step on the road to recovery. Aslan would like to say a big thank you to all our fans who sent cards and good wishes to Christy while he was in hospital."


But any gigs have been ruled out for the moment with the frontman, who now has a pacemaker fitted, continuing with his treatment.

Last month, Dignam was forced to pull out of RTE's Saturday Night Show to promote Aslan's fundraising single, Catch Your Fall, in aid of suicide charity Pieta House, after he became unwell.

Instead, Aslan performed with a video screen of the absent singer performing the Don Mescall-penned track.

Speaking recently, the singer told of how his blood tests had shown signs of improvement due to treatment.

"The chemo is horrendous. It's like throwing a lagging jacket around your liver and gall bladder, but please God it will stop the cancer," he said of the chemo which is being administered through a through a tube in his stomach.

Admitted to the Beaumont from Blanchardstown Hospital suffering blood conditions amyloidosis and myeloma, as well as pneumonia, Dignam was also in pain with a swollen foot. His wife Kathryn and daughter Kiera left Beaumont Hospital with him yesterday.