| 7.6°C Dublin

Appeal after dog shot dead and dumped


Elaine Whyte of the ISPCA

Elaine Whyte of the ISPCA

Elaine Whyte of the ISPCA

The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) has launched an investigation following the discovery of the body of a dog, found dumped in a plastic bag.

The two-year-old German Shepherd was abandoned in a Meath ditch and the dog was said to be in good condition before it was shot at close range.

The grisly discovery was made by a member of the public, who was out walking on a quiet road off the R164 between the Moynalty and Kingscourt area in Meath.

"She was in good condition prior to death and was wearing a black collar but there was no ID tag or microchip," explained ISPCA inspector Elaine Whyte.


The discovery comes less than two months after the carcasses of five dogs and a goat were found dumped in bags just 35km away from the recent scene.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact the ISPCA National Animal Cruelty Helpline in confidence on 1890 515 515 or report online at www.ispca.ie.

Meanwhile, a mother was left horrified after she discovered two disembowelled, partially skinned horses dumped on a road in Co Offaly, while taking her children to school.

Offaly SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), who described the incident as a "vile act of cruelty", said the woman was very distressed and her three children were "completely horrified".

The Animal Rights Action Network (ARAN) has offered a €3,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

On arrival at the scene, SPCA officers found two dead young horses that had been bound at the legs, disembowelled and had their necks skinned.

It's suspected the skin was removed from their necks in order to remove identifying microchips.

Volunteer Angela Real said the woman was bringing her children to school when she discovered the animals.

"They phoned us and one of our volunteers actually took her kids to school," she explained.

The dead horses were removed by Offaly County Council and the incident was reported to gardai in Tullamore.