Elaine suspect's secret message at court hearing

Gardai pictured at the scene where Elaine's remains were found in wooded lands off the Killakee Road. Photo: Colin O'Riordan

Dearbhail McDonald

THE architect charged with the murder of childcare worker Elaine O'Hara gave a secret message to his family before being refused High Court bail.

Graham Dwyer smiled at his parents as he arrived in court yesterday before pointing at his jumper and making a 'W' gesture with his hands.

The 41-year-old's father offered to pay an independent surety of €25,000 to see him released from custody ahead of the murder trial.

However, Dwyer of Kerrymount Close, Foxrock, in south Dublin was back in Cloverhill Prison last night after a judge turned down the application.

The father-of-two was dressed in a black turtleneck sweater, black trousers and shoes for the hour-long sitting at Cloverhill courthouse.


His barrister Garrett McCormack told the court that if released Dwyer would reside in Bandon, Co Cork. He is originally from Cork.

But High Court judge Mr Justice Paul Butler denied bail after Chief Superintendent Diarmuid O'Sullivan objected on behalf of the State.

Dwyer is accused of killing Ms O'Hara at an unknown place somewhere in Co Dublin on August 22 last year.

He has been on remand at Cloverhill Prison since he was charged with murder on October 18.

Ms O'Hara (36) vanished on August 22 last year after leaving her home in Belarmine Plaza, Stepaside.

Partial remains of her body were uncovered by a dog on a walk with its owner in the foothills of the Dublin Mountains on September 13.

Meanwhile, at the opening of the inquest into her death today, coroner Dr Brian Farrell told Ms O'Hara's family that there was no cause of death for the childcare worker.

The inquest was adjourned sine die – or without assigning a further date – until the outcome of criminal proceedings is known. The inquest heard identification was carried out by Dr Mary Clarke, forensic odontologist.

Dr Farrell said he has received an extensive report from Dr Clarke and she is in no doubt that the remains are those of Ms O'Hara. Ms O'Hara's father Frank O'Hara was present but only spoke to say his daughter was 36 years old when she went missing.