Dubliner arrested in UK extradited and charged with Hutch feud murder

Gardai forensics at scene of shooting

Jonathan Keogh

Gareth Hutch

thumbnail: Gardai forensics at scene of shooting
thumbnail: Jonathan Keogh
thumbnail: Gareth Hutch
Andrew Phelan

A Dublin man has been extradited from the UK and charged with the murder of Gareth Hutch, who was shot dead in a suspected gang feud killing last year.

Jonathan Keogh (31) appeared at Dublin District Court yesterday charged with the murder, after he was arrested under warrant in England and extradited to face trial here.

Judge Grainne O'Neill remanded him in custody for the preparation of a book of evidence.

Mr Keogh is the third person to be charged in connection with the death of Mr Hutch, who gardai believe was a victim of the Kinahan/Hutch feud.

The accused's sister, Regina Keogh (39), and co-accused, Thomas Fox (29), have both already been charged and sent for trial to the Special Criminal Court.

Mr Hutch (35), the nephew of gang boss Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch, was gunned down as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats, on North Cumberland Street in inner city Dublin, on the morning of May 24, 2016.

A European Arrest Warrant was issued for Mr Keogh late last year.

He was arrested by police in Romford, Essex, on June 11 this year, following a surveillance operation by Britain's National Crime Agency.

Mr Keogh appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on August 10, and was told he would be extradited to Ireland.


Two armed gardai stood outside Dublin District Court yesterday afternoon when the accused was brought before Judge O'Neill.

Garda Sergeant Enda O'Sullivan told the judge he arrested the accused on foot of a European Arrest Warrant at Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, at 2.21pm yesterday.

Mr Keogh was taken to Clondalkin Garda Station, where he was charged in Sgt O'Sullivan's presence at 3.50pm.

He made no reply to the charge after caution and was handed a copy of the warrant and charge sheet.

No bail application was made on his behalf, as this can only be done in the High Court on a murder charge.

Judge O'Neill asked Mr Keogh's solicitor, Damien Coffey, if there was any other application being made as "obviously, bail doesn't apply".

Mr Coffey asked for Mr Keogh to be remanded in custody for a week.

Judge O'Neill noted that there was a "significant" garda presence in the court for the case and asked if any security concerns could be circumvented by remanding the case to a different court.

"I believe we will have any security that needs to be in place for whatever court sits," said Sgt O'Sullivan.

Judge O'Neill adjourned the case to Cloverhill District Court on August 30.

Mr Coffey said he had no other application to make at this time and asked for permission to speak to the accused in custody when the case concluded.


Mr Keogh, who was wearing a navy and white tracksuit with white runners, stood with his arms folded during the brief proceedings and consulted his solicitor, but did not address the court.

He has not yet indicated how he intends to plead to the charge.

Jonathan and Regina Keogh's brother Michael was shot dead as he sat in his car in May.