Dramatic Endings

5 Heartstopping finishes

Manchester United 2 Bayern Munich 1 (Champions League final, May 1999)

United trailed for nearly the entire game after falling behind to Mario Basler's sixth-minute free-kick, but in a startling finish the English side turned the game on its head. Substitute Teddy Sheringham equalised with a shot on the turn from eight yards and extra-time beckoned. But United had other ideas and, when David Beckham's corner was flicked on by Sheringham, fellow substitute Ole Gunnar Solskjaer rifled the ball into the roof of the net. United had become the first club to win the treble of Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup.

Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 (First Division, May 1989)

Arsenal needed to win by two goals at Anfield to deny Liverpool the title and take the trophy back to Highbury, but as the match entered its final moments they led only by an Alan Smith header. Arsenal had time for a late attack though and defender Lee Dixon rifled a long pass to Smith who controlled neatly and played the ball on to midfielder Michael Thomas. Thomas bundled his way through to a shooting position and flicked a finish beyond Bruce Grobbelaar, performing a forwards roll in celebration as George Graham's team claimed the glory.

Premier League climax, 1995

Pacesetters Blackburn suffered an alarming end-of-season slump to allow Manchester United back into the title race. The destination of the title wavered back and forth on a number of occasions during a nail-biting denouement but with Liverpool eventually defeating Rovers 2-1 at Anfield, United needed a win at West Ham. Michael Hughes' goal had put Alex Ferguson's men firmly under the cosh, but when Brian McClair equalised it seemed set to end perfectly for United. Chances aplenty came and went but a combination of staunch defence and nervy finishing ensured a draw, handing Kenny Dalglish and co at Blackburn the honours.

Liverpool 3 AC Milan 3 (Liverpool won 3-2 on pens)

Champions League final, May 2005

Liverpool beat AC Milan in a penalty shoot-out to win the Champions League after coming from three goals down at half-time. Paolo Maldini gave Milan a first-minute lead, and two goals from Hernan Crespo put them in a seemingly unassailable position at the interval. Reds captain Steven Gerrard gave Liverpool hope, and Vladimir Smicer and Xabi Alonso levelled in a seven-minute spell. Jerzy Dudek then saved from Andrea Pirlo and Andriy Shevchenko in the shoot-out to clinch a stunning victory.

Man City 2 Gillingham 2 (City won 3-1 on pens)

1999 Division Two play-off final, Wembley

Only 13 years ago, City were playing in the third tier of English football. Carl Asaba and Robert Taylor gave Gillingham a 2-0 lead with seven minutes remaining of their play-off final and City looked dead and buried. But Kevin Horlock made it 2-1 and Paul Dickov grabbed a dramatic equaliser deep into injury time. With City leading 3-1 in the penalty shoot-out, goalkeeper Nicky Weaver saved the all-important spot kick before leaping over the advertising hoardings and setting off on a memorable victory run, chased by his jubilant team-mates.