Dad accused of engine and lobsters theft

By Andrew Phelan

a FATHER of one accused of using his boat to steal lobsters, crabs and outboard engines worth €8,000 has been ordered by a judge to stay out of Dublin Bay and "on dry land".

Mark Davis (40) was banned from boarding any boat as part of his bail conditions when he appeared before Dublin District Court.

Gardai allege he stole the shellfish and engines in Dalkey and was later caught following a pursuit up the Liffey.

Judge James Faughnan remanded him in custody until he is able to take up bail.

Mr Davis, of Knockmore Avenue, Tallaght, is charged with stealing two outboard motors worth €6,000 and two crates of lobster and crab valued at €2,000 at Bullock Harbour, Dalkey, on September 30.

Gda Orla Cooper told the court it was alleged that the defendant was intercepted by gardai in a boat with two crates of stolen lobster and crab.

He was pursued up the Liffey and stopped at Ringsend.

She said there was CCTV footage from Bullock Harbour which allegedly showed the accused at the scene at the time the items were stolen.

The footage allegedly showed him in the same clothes he was wearing when apprehended.


It was alleged that he was seen entering the harbour and remaining close to boats from which the property was stolen.

Gardai believed he dropped the engines, which were not recovered.

The prosecution maintained that Mr Davis was a former drug user with an outstanding debt and was "targeting harbours" to steal marine equipment.

Gda Cooper said text messages enquiring about outboard engines were found on his phone.

It was alleged that gardai had evidence that the accused had been selling marine equipment online and their investigation was ongoing.

The accused had a 12-year-old daughter and was a carer for his elderly parents.

His lawyer said the case could be dealt with at district court level, and the DPP had not yet given directions.

The defendant said the powerboat he was in was his own and cost €1,700. He was unemployed and on disability allowance, and told the judge: "I saved, your honour."

Judge Faughnan said he would grant bail on condition that he signs on at Tallaght garda station and stays "on dry land".

He was remanded in custody with consent to bail to appear in court again next Wednesday.