Calls for full report on tragic mum's flat death

MOTION: Council tenant Rachel died of hypothermia

Cormac Murphy

CITY manager John Tierney will be called on to give a full report on council tenant Rachel Peavoy's death from hypothermia.

The tragedy is to be raised in a motion tabled for this month's Dublin City Council meeting.

Labour's Dermot Lacey is to ask Mr Tierney for a detailed account of the circumstances surrounding the "sad death" of Ms Peavoy.

The councillor has also demanded to know what steps will be taken to rectify any errors that are identified.

Family and friends of Ms Peavoy (30) have said her local authority flat was without heating for months before her death.

The single mother of two boys from Shangan Road, Ballymun, was found dead from hypothermia at her home on January 11, 2010.


Cllr Lacey told the Herald he is not trying to make a "political point" with the motion.

"I just generally thought it needs to be said. We should put on record our regret that this happened," he said. "I told the manager I don't intend to speak on it. I don't want to make any political capital on it."

His motion states: "Will the manager give a full report on the circumstances surrounding the sad death of Rachel Peavoy, Ballymun, and what steps will be taken to ensure that any error or action of Dublin City Council that is identified is rectified to ensure that such never occurs again."

At an inquest at Dublin City Coroner's Court, Ms Peavoy's loved ones described her flat as freezing. The only source of heating was from two heaters.

Her sister, cousin and close friends said Rachel had complained to the city council several times without success.

Linda McLoughlin, a close friend, who lived in the same flat complex, told the inquest there was always difficulty with heating in the flats.

December 2009 was the coldest for almost 30 years, reaching -10C in places. The first 10 days of January were also exceptionally cold.

Ms Peavoy last spoke to her mother, Celine, the day before she was found dead. She asked her mother to mind her sons, Leon and Warren, and said that she was turning her phone off because she could not sleep.

The next day her body was discovered in the main bedroom after attempts had been made to contact her.

Her inquest was adjourned until March 24.