Baby wins e2.6k in mouldy juice claim

A FOUR-month-old baby, who vomited on several days after having been given a drink of Heinz Baby Juice, has been awarded damages totalling €2,640 against the company.

Barrister Conor Kearney told the Circuit Civil Court yesterday that little Ava Bowes-Smith's mother, Amy, had afterwards noticed traces of mould in the juice bottle.

Ms Smith, of Griffith Avenue, Marino, Dublin, had sued H.J. Heinz Company Ltd, Hayes, Middlesex, and H.J. Heinz Company (Ireland) Ltd, Blackrock, Co Dublin, on behalf of Ava.

She told the court in an affidavit that she had bought the Heinz Baby Juice in Lidl, Parnell Street, Dublin, on June 23, 2011, and two days later had given some to Ava.


Ava had started vomiting and on checking the Heinz bottle she had noticed there were lumps of mould in the juice. The bottle was within its "use-by" date and she believed the drink had made her baby ill.

Mr Kearney told Judge Matthew Deery that Ava had been taken to the Temple Street Children's Hospital, Dublin.

Ava, now aged two, had been assessed and was well looking and hydrated. She had not vomited while in hospital and went home on the same day.

Mr Ikechukwu Okafor, a consultant in paediatric emergency medicine, stated that Ava's vomiting could have been an adverse reaction to the juice and was unlikely to have any ongoing medical consequence for her.

Mr Kearney said the Injuries Board had assessed damages at €2,640 and he was recommending acceptance of the assessment to the court. Judge Deery approved the assessment.