Armagh get by Tyrone in Omagh war

Players from both sides involved in a disagreement in the first minute of the match. GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2B, Tyrone v Armagh. Picture: Ramsey Cardy/SPORTSFILE

ARMAGH stunned old-rivals Tyrone, 0-13 to 0-10, after a controversial All-Ireland SFC Round 2B qualifier at Healy Park in Omagh.

Twenty-two players became embroiled in a melee prior to throw-in in ugly scenes just weeks after Armagh were also involved in pre-match fracas with Cavan in the Ulster Championship.

Mattie Donnelly, Tyrone's centre-back, was dismissed for Mickey Harte's side before half-time in arguably the most crucial moment of the match. Donnelly had already been booked when he received a black card, and becuase of this Tyrone couldn't replace him.

The Orchard men had been well in control up to that point, and led by 0-7 to 0-5 at the interval, with Jamie Clarke, Tony Kernan and Stephen Harald all to the fore.

Indeed, Tyrone should have been further ahead at the break but Jamie Clarke missed a brilliant goal chance at the 20 minute mark.

The Red Hands did rally however. Sean Cavanagh (2) and Niall McKenna scored three points without reply upon the resumption to put them in front.

But that lead was soon reeled in and Clarke, Mark Shields and Rory Grugan put Armagh three clear. Tyrone couldn't make any inroads after that and Harte's charges crashed out.


CLARE ruthlessly crushed Carlow by double scores, 4-26 to 2-13, in the All-Ireland SFC Round 2B qualifier at Dr Cullen Park.

The Banner were in control from start to finish and moved in a 0-9 to 0-3 by the end of the first quarter. The home side responded with a goal from Conor Lawlor but it failed to kick start any credible challenge with the game all but ended as a contest by half-time.

Shane Brennan and Rory Donnelly both found the net to help the winners to a 2-15 to 1-6 interval advantage. Indeed, it could have been worse for the hosts had Andy O'Brien not saved a 29th minute penalty from Gary Brennan.

Clare were totally dominant thereafter and further green flags were raised by Podge McMahon and dual star Padraic Collins. For Anthony Rainbow and Carlow, however, this was another miserable Championship outing.