Alleged street sex attack on drunk woman

Andrzej Tadel

Andrew Phelan

Gardai had to pull a man away from an unconscious woman as he sexually assaulted her on a Dublin street, it has been alleged.

Andrzej Tadel (43) is accused of pulling down the woman's trousers and assaulting her as she lay drunk in a laneway in the city centre.

It is alleged that he ignored gardai when they shouted at him to stop.

He was sent forward for trial when he had a book of evidence served on him at Dublin District Court.

Judge Bryan Smyth granted him bail despite garda objections.

Mr Tadel, of no fixed address, is charged with sexually assaulting the woman last July.

Objecting to bail, Gda Carol- ine Purcell said the incident happened between 11 and 11.45am.

A witness called 999 after she said she saw the accused pull down the woman's trousers and underwear before touching her.


As two gardai arrived, they saw Mr Tadel and the alleged victim lying on the ground, and saw him touch her with her trousers and underwear pulled down, Gda Purcell said.

They shouted at the accused to stop, and it was alleged he ignored this and proceeded to touch the woman in full view of the gardai and "had to be physically pulled off the unconscious female to stop him".

The woman, who had to be roused by the gardai, told them she had not consented to the act and was incapable of doing so as she was highly intoxicated.

She further stated that she "does not know this male", the garda said.

There would be two garda witnesses as well as an independent witness.

The alleged assault was not captured on CCTV, but there was other footage from the area that showed both parties, Gda Purcell said.

This was of high quality and both were clearly identified, she said.

Mr Tadel made certain admissions during interview, Gda Purcell said.

She believed he was a flight risk because, while he had lived in Ireland for 13 years, he had no ties here and stated in interview: "Now I'm thinking of going back to Poland."

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Donal Quigley said Mr Tadel was presumed innocent and could resile from any admissions at any stage.

He had attended court while on bail.

There had been alcohol involved in relation to both parties, the court heard.

Judge Smyth granted bail in the accused's own bond of €500 with no cash required.

Under the conditions, he must sign on three times weekly at Bridewell Garda Station, remain sober in public and have no contact with the alleged victim.

A book of evidence was then served on the accused and he was sent for trial to the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.