Friday 24 November 2017

Vianney self-destruct


(Game abandoned on 83 minutes) IT WAS meltown at Belvedere on Sunday last as experienced referee Damien Donovan was forced to abandon this Leinster Junior Cup second round game with Vianney Boys reduced to six players.


This was a real tale of woe for the visitors. After an excellent opening 15 minutes, home side North End United took control, playing some quality football on their way to demolishing the visitors who gave a display of fast, open football with some clinical finishing.

After the home side had thundered into an 8-0 lead, the ugly side of the game appeared as on 74 minutes Vianney Boys had three players sentoff. First to go was Daragh Hanrahan for a professional foul, while both Ger Keenan and Daniel Greene followed immediately for abusive language.

While the play resumed it took only four minutes for Gary Martin to follow with a red card for a second bookable offence, while in the 83rd minute they were reduced to six players when Jimmy Dunne saw red, leaving referee Donovan with no option but to abandon the game under rule amid farcical scenes.

This was a dramatic turn of events as through the opening 15 minutes this game produced some excellent passages of football. Both sides were intent on playing attacking football which led to much goalmouth incident as the respective sides sought out the opening goal.

North End got the breakthrough after 15 minutes when, following a fine move down the right wing, the ball was played cleverly into the centre by Kyle Dempsey, leaving Adam Beary to finish superbly from just inside the area and making it 1-0. While the early goal went the home side's way, Vianney Boys continued to attack with both Stephen Walsh and Stephen Duffy forcing saves out of 'keeper Lee Walker as they sought out that equalising goal.

This was proving a huge tussle and a superb Keith Kearney strike on 27 minutes made it 2-0. Two minutes into additional time Shane Dempsey floated a superb free-kick from outside the area over the wall into the top right-hand corner of the net, making it 3-0 at the interval.

There was a huge task facing Vianney Boys even to get back into the game, but their hopes were killed off with a 53rd-minute goal from Adam Beary. There were no real shots on target from the visitors as their game became somewhat disintegrated as lots of frustration began to creep into their play.

North End were galvanised as this stage as they played quality attacking football, with John Fenlon making it 5-0 after 68 minutes with a fine angled shot. In a five-minute spell leading up to the dramatic developments, the home side added three further goals through Shane Dempsey, John Fenlon and Kyle Dempsey to make it 8-0.

It was one of those soap opera finishes as Vianney Boys lost all of their discipline. One knew instantly it was only a matter of time before referee Donovan would be forced to place a firm lid on proceedings and he was left with no option but to show the red cards, leaving Vianney Boys with just six players with seven minutes remaining, forcing him to abandon the game.

North End are through to the third round draw but what must be worrying for Vianney Boys is what sanctions lie ahead as they are sure to feel the full brunt of the Leinster Branch on receipt of the referee's report given the amount of verbal abuse he received during that second-half in particular.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links