Wednesday 24 January 2018

Gorey boys in superb form

Gorey 21 Tullamore 8

Gorey President Frank Deering presents the cup to team captain Brian Cushe
Gorey President Frank Deering presents the cup to team captain Brian Cushe
The Gorey pack in the thick of the action during Saturday’s Under-14 final in Clonattin
The all-conquering Gorey squad with their mentors

The Gorey Under-14s hosted Tullamore on Saturday in Clonattin for an eagerly-anticipated Premier League final. Both sides have been in fine form all season and this was their first meeting since the Under-13 Cup final in Donnybrook last season.

It was a glorious day in Clonattin with blue skies, very little wind and the pitch in fine condition ,so the scene was well set for a great game. And these sides delivered in some style.

The game started at a fast pace with some ferocious tackling from both sides.

Gorey had a nervous start, and made several errors, but had a let-off when a Tullamore penalty went to the left and wide.

But from the midway point in the first-half Gorey started to take control. A few good scoring chances were spurned, when the ball wasn't let out to the back line, but just on the stroke of half-time Cillian Byrne broke the deadlock to score.

Lee Cushe kicked a super conversion, bringing the half-time score to 7-0.

The second-half had the expected Tullamore fightback. A Gorey error was capitalised on from which they scored a try, but the conversion was missed.

Gorey kicked on determined to extend their lead. Some great carries by Michal Kruczek, Shay Guilfoyle, Evan Byrne, Jack Curley and George Hadden seriously tested a dogged Tullamore defence.

Then a moment of brilliance from Brian Cushe saw him collect the ball well outside the '22 and, with his typical speed and determination, he dodged his way past several would-be tacklers to score a great try, with Lee adding the extras for 14-5.

Tullamore added a penalty to get back within striking range at 14-8. Great Gorey defence prevented them adding further despite going a man down.

Jack Higgins then sealed it when his quick thinking and a clever break got him over the line, with Lee's kick bringing the final score to 21-8.

Tullamore still kept hammering but when John Milne's tackle led to a knock on the final whistle blew and the Gorey celebrations began.

It was a superb game of Youths rugby from two excellent teams. Gorey had strong performers across the entire squad, with Jack Curley being our man of the match.

Team: J. Curley, D. Fitzpatrick, E. Byrne, R. Tubritt, S. Guilfoyle, A. Cleary, G. Hadden, E. Stephens, J. Higgins, L. Cushe, T. Baxter, M. Kruczek, R. O'Loughlin, B. Cushe, C. Byrne, A. McNeill, S. Sawyer, E. McCrea, R. Arnold, J. Milne, C. Byrne, R. Cleary, S. O'Hagan, S. Campbell-Carty, P. Kinsella.

Gorey Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links