Saturday 16 December 2017

Club call

Joe Tallon touches down for a try in the Gorey Under-15 victory over Naas in the Macauley Cup
Joe Tallon touches down for a try in the Gorey Under-15 victory over Naas in the Macauley Cup
Ross Arnold on his way to scoring a try for the Gorey Under-14 team

Slaney Olympic: The Masters cross-country was held on Sunday on the point-to-point course in Lingstown, hosted by Kilmore A.C. on a very wet and testing course, with conditions underfoot challenging in places.

Described as proper cross-country running, runners had banks, water and lots of muck and mud to navigate around the course. The first race off at 12 noon was the ladies' 4k, and Slaney had a large field of dedicated runners taking part.

Emily Waldron-O'Connor led the women home in fourth place to win individual Over-35, with Mag Dunphy (Over-55), Annis Kehoe (Over-60) and Jane Porter (Over-65) also claiming gold medals. Also running very strongly for Slaney were Vanessa McShane, Louise Nolan-Ryan, Esther O'Connor, Sarah Byrne-Walsh and Maura Neville. Next up was the men's 6k race with Billy Reck first man home for the club and leading the men to team silver together with Kevin Murphy, Mick Jordan and David Kehoe.

Also running were Mick Morrissey, Jesssie O'Connor, Ian Rochford, Fergus Murphy, Tom Crofts, Ger Murphy and Paul Murphy. Billy Reck also claimed the Over-45 gold medal. Many thanks to everyone for turning up and taking part on such a miserable day, and to the supporters and tea ladies for the nicest cuppa afterwards, it's very much appreciated. The Charlie Curran Memorial 10k road race was held on Sunday in Carlow, with Joanne Murphy first home for the club in 54.05.

Also taking part from Slaney were: Joanne Murphy 54.05, Orla Doyle 57.01, Valerie Murphy 59.08, Diane Breslin 1.05.16, Angela McDonald 1.05.18, Jennie Frizelle 1.18.02. Well done ladies! Jane Porter took the Over-60 title on Saturday in the I.M.R.A. race held in Hellfire Woods in Dublin in a time of 50.19. With less than three weeks to go to the annual Enniscorthy 10k, get registering at Don't forget training continues on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 7-8 p.m. on the new track in Enniscorthy, open to all members and to potential new members. Membership is also due for 2017 and can be paid to any committee member.

S.B.R. A.C.

The S.B.R. women carried on from their historic Senior team silver medal in December with another tremendous performance at the Wexford Masters cross-country championships in Tomhaggard on Sunday.

Lillian Lawless started 2017 as she left off 2016, leading the S.B.R. women home with a brilliant fifth place finish and a win in the Over-45 age category.

Ciara Bowe was the next S.B.R. runner home with a very tactically sound race in seventh to win the Over-40 age category. Belinda Kehoe then followed with a tenth place finish on a day where she moved up throughout the race to round out the scoring.

They were followed then by Claire Gibbons and Marie Kirwan who both ran brilliantly in difficult conditions. The back-to-back silver medals for the S.B.R. women is a huge achievement and a testament to all of their hard training together week in and week out.

On the men's side, S.B.R. came home in third place. They were led home by Myles Gibbons who had a gritty race to finish sixth.

The run of the day for the men came from Brian Kearney who was second home in a run that saw him move up each lap. Denis Moynihan and Bernard Fortune rounded out the scoring for the third place team finish. Jim O'Malley, Willie Rossiter, Tommy McElwaine, Eugene Doherty, David Leonard, Pat Kirwan, Tom Kavanagh and Billy Harpur all competed too.

The age categories proved much better with Billy Harpur securing the Over-70 title with a very good run. In addition, Tom Kavanagh and Eugene Doherty secured the Over-65 and Over-60 age categories respectively. 

Tomás Kavanagh was victorious in the Bunclody G.A.A. 5k on Sunday, with team-mate Podge Sweeney finishing a strong seventh. Well done men!

At the Gorey Parkrun Saturday, Ryan Gleeson led S.B.R. home with a tenth place finish out of 140-plus. He was followed by Michael Breen and Liam Breen in short order.

On the women's side, Clodagh Dunbar led them home with a 23rd place finish and fifth woman overall. Mag O'Leary-Doyle set a new Parkrun P.R. in a 41st overall finish. Well done everyone!

A reminder that the S.B.R. spring league starts Wednesday, February 1, in Ferns at 7.30 p.m. with registration from 7 p.m. at the Square in Ferns.

The first race takes place over the one-mile distance. The league costs €10 in total for the six-race season. 


The first hockey men of Enniscorthy welcomed Glenanne to the Astro Active Centre on Saturday. Glenanne are one of the only sides to have beaten the Wexford men in the league this season, but Enniscorthy got revenge on this outing.

The Slaneysiders had an advantage when the game started as Glenanne were unable to field a full team of eleven players. Enniscorthy were quick to use their advantage and pressed high and put the Dubliners under pressure.

The deadlock was broken when right back Andrew Rothwell gathered the ball from a Glenanne clearance, worked his way into the circle, beating two defenders before from a tight angle slotting the ball between the 'keeper's legs.

Enniscorthy gained a number of short corners during the game and took their chances. Roy Chapman scored from one with a reverse shot when he pulled it to his left and fired it into the back of the net.

Shortly after this sweeper Simmons gained space inside the Glenanne circle and superbly scored Enniscorthy's third, again from a short corner.

The Slaneysiders weren't finished scoring from short corners though. Medcalf, the teenaged midfielder, got a touch to redirect Roy Chapman's wide-bound rocket on to the target with a reflex deflection.

Glenanne gained a short corner and took their chance. With a straight shot from the top of the circle, 'keeper Hill was blind sighted and was unable to stop the thundering shot. The half-time whistle blew with the score at 4-1.

In the second-half, Glenanne, who were having trouble getting past the midfield of Roy Chapman, Medcalf and Glenn Chapman, tried a new tactic of bypassing the solid players with aerials.

Although on most occasions Enniscorthy's defence of Ivan Rothwell, Vietch, Simmons and Andrew Rothwell dealt with the threat, Glenanne were causing trouble.

An aerial assisted the Dubliners in scoring their second. This early goal in the second-half refocused Donal Doyle's men and they went on to score two more goals.

Roy Chapman doubled his tally with another reverse shot and Liukimas got on the scoreboard with a beautiful flick over the charging Glenanne 'keeper. The game finished 6-2 to Enniscorthy and three more points for the table-toppers.

With the top of the league tight, every result counts. Shortly after the game word come through that both Wicklow and Monkstown had drawn their games, giving Enniscorthy a little more breathing space at the top of the league. This coming Saturday the Wexford men will travel to Rathdown School to take on Monkstown.

Enniscorthy: Graham Hill, Andrew Rothwell, David Simmons, Martyn Vietch, Ivan Rothwell, Daithí Medcalf, Glenn Chapman, Roy Chapman, Jason Rothwell, Edmundas Liukimas, William Durnan, Cory Cooke, Cian Hogan. Coach: Donal Doyle. Manager: Fraser Rothwell.

A cold, wet morning of great hockey was displayed in Enniscorthy Astro Centre as Enniscorthy firsts took on Carlow. After the ladies' last triumphant win over Wexford firsts, their aim going into this match was to keep the same momentum, accuracy and determination they produced against Wexford.

The ladies played a great, tough game yet again to earn three more points for the league table. The final result was 3-0 to the home side.

From the moment the whistle blew, Enniscorthy dominated the field where they held strong possession from their halfway line and up.

The starting eleven was missing two usual backs, Laura Smith and Aine O'Brien. Despite their absence, defenders Serena Hatton and Róisín O Muiri stepped up and both had excellent games, creating a strong wall of defence.

Jessie Flood, Leah Chapman and Marti Rudd put in a great effort in the middle of the field, working together to move the ball up to the forwards, making strong tackles and accurate passes and providing the crucial link between mid fields and forwards.

Flood's vision in midfield allowed her to provide her sister, Anna, with superb balls. Anna narrowly missed out on a goal, that just narrowly skimmed the corner of the Carlow goal.

The lengths that Enniscorthy have developed were further demonstrated through further goal opportunities, but that first goal was yet to be scored. 

Sonja Rynhart made sure that Enniscorthy would exit the first-half with the upper hand, scoring a fast-paced goal from a short corner into the bottom left-hand corner after 25 minutes.

Enniscorthy had numerous attempts on goal from Chapman and Anna Flood, narrowly missing the target.

The ladies' star defender, Julie Watchorn, went off injured in the first-half after getting a nasty, fast-paced ball to the face. The half-time whistle sounded leaving the score 1-0 to Enniscorthy.

Again in the second-half, Enniscorthy were the side with most possession. Both sides had good passages of play but Enniscorthy were more clinical.

Both Rynhart and Stephanie Kinsella made good attacks down the left and right wings, unlucky to have not secured a few more for the home side.

Enniscorthy were soon to rattle the net again as a beautiful ball across the circle from Olive Lett found Leah, whose pace and alertness allowed her to lift the ball high into the net from a first touch sweep.

The ladies were now determined to gain more goals which led them to soon obtain a third. A long ball down the line was gathered by Kinsella who sent it to the top of the circle where it was met by Olive Lett, allowing her to strike on goal where winger Sonja got a touch to put it past the Carlow 'keeper.

The match resulted in a 3-0 victory for Enniscorthy. The ladies will now turn their focus to their next match which will be held on February 12 against Kilkenny.

Enniscorthy: Fiona Rothwell, Julie Watchorn, Róisín O Muiri, Ruth Harrington, Katie Owen, Serena Hatton, Jessie Flood, Marti Rudd, Leah Chapman, Anna Flood, Olive Lett, Sonja Rynhart, Stephanie Kinsella, Laura O'Leary. Coach: Donal Doyle.


It was a very wet and windy Sunday morning for the first county championship run for 2017. Bree Athletic Club had three teams entered in the cross-county relay, some of whom were competing for the very first time.

As usual these athletes took to the track with their usual enthusiasm and all performed to the best of their ability, making the rain and wind bearable. Congratulations to all of you, you were great.

Under-10 girls: Leah Bolger, Chloe Casey, Ciara Laffan, Maura Doyle (first place).

Under-10 boys: Jack Doyle, Cian Donovan, Jayden Kenny, Oisín Harte (second place). Special mention for Oisín, who was heading to the finish line in first place and had two falls but picked himself up and kept going, showing great strength.

Under-12 girls: Gracie Kehoe, Abbie Doyle, Katie Doyle, Amelia Furlong (first place).

At the other end of the age group, the Bree A.C. Juniors and Under-23 athletes were competing in the All-Ireland indoor championships. Olivia Howe gained herself two new personal bests in the Junior 60m and 200m, just missing out on the final in both.

Ryan Murray was back in action after a year out of athletics. He achieved a new P.B. of 7.19 in the Junior 60m. Sophie McCabe competed in the Under-23 triple jump and won herself a national bronze medal.

Congratulations to all our athletes last weekend. We are well prepared for the Leinster indoor championships on February 11 and 12.


The Gorey Under-15s took on Naas in the first round of the Macauley Cup in Clonattin on Saturday.

Cup matches always have the potential to trip teams up, so there was no complacency from Gorey, but all the same Naas were the first to score. Getting the ball out wide smartly, their quick footwork broke the Gorey wide defence.

Gorey re-organised and soon the scores were even when team speedster L. Noblett scored. Naas were threatening across the park but Gorey's intensity stepped up as D. Cooke, playing centre due to injuries, crossed the line.

Not long after his centre partner C. Popplewell scored from a great burst of speed to break the visitors' defensive line. Gorey were on the front foot now and when scrum-half H. O'Brien scored a beauty of a try it didn't look good for Naas.

Things didn't get any better for them when captain and flanker J. Tallon scored a superb try to put Gorey firmly in control.

Naas stepped up and, to be fair to them, they deserved the score that came from a missed tackle from Gorey who had quietened down thinking the game was won.

Two tries from G. Murray and G. Slattery settled the nerves, and a late try for Naas made no difference to the final outcome - a well-earned 41-17 win for Gorey.

Team: G. Murray (one), J.J. O'Neill, S. Doran, S. Timmons, L. Bates, J. Tallon (capt., one), P. Doyle, O. Austin, H. O'Brien (one), G. Lande, L. Noblett (one), D. Cooke (one), C. Popplewell (one), S. O'Hagan, G. Slattery (one). Subs. (all used) - J. Kinsella, S. Millar, T . Montague, O. O'Hagan. 

Well done to all the team and a special mention to S. Doran, who made his first start, and T. Montague who made his debut for Gorey R.F.C.

Gorey travelled to Clondalkin on Sunday for what they knew would be a tough game in the Leinster Ladies' League Division 2.

Clondalkin were out to seek revenge for the defeat to Gorey earlier in the season. Clondalkin started the game with great intensity, forcing Gorey on to the back foot.

With some solid defence, Gorey worked hard to break over halfway with both defences holding strong. On Clondalkin's first visit to the Gorey '22 they where awarded a penalty which was slotted over the bar.

From the kick-off Clondalkin attempted to launch another attack but the Gorey defence held firm and managed to push Clondalkin back into their own half. The respite was shortlived, with Clondalkin launching another attack which resulted in a try.

Despite being behind, Gorey kept their heads held high and went on the attack. From an attacking line-out Gorey carried the ball, creating some space out wide before it was spread quickly to the wing which resulted in Molly Byrne crossing over the try line to bring Gorey back into the game.

Gorey went on the attack shortly after and some good play found them again in the Clondalkin '22, however they were unable to convert the pressure into points.

Gorey started the second-half brightly as some great carries from the forwards and a strong run from Lorrain Gahan resulted in Aoife Crowe crossing the line from close in to put them in the lead for the first time.

Unfortunately, this was as good as it got for Gorey despite some great work in defence. Clondalkin found room on the wing and crossed over the line again.

Gorey, determined to get back into the game, launched attack after attack but a strong Clondalkin defence and great work at the breakdown resulted in some key turnovers.

Clondalkin sensed an opportunity and kicked a long ball which was touched in the air. From the resulting line-out they crossed the line to score for the last time.

For the remaining minutes Gorey attempted to get back into the game to no avail, and it finished on a scoreline of 20-10 in Clondalkin's favour.

Next up for Gorey is the visit of Kilkenny next Sunday with a 1 p.m. kick-off, and all support very welcome.

Birr were the visitors to Gorey on Saturday for the first outing in this season's Leinster Under-14 Cup.

The Gorey lads got in to the game quickly and a few early scores meant the final result was never really in doubt.

The pick of the first-half tries came from Ross O'Loughlin following some excellent play by Ewan Stephens, George Hadden, Lee Cushe and Michal Kruczek. The second-half saw Gorey still in strong command and they added further to the scoreboard.

One of the most impressive of these scores came from Ross Arnold who, having spotted a gap in the Birr defence, burst through to score a fine try.

The final score was 66-0 with tries coming from Brian and Lee Cushe, Michal Kruczek, Ross O'Loughlin, Ross Arnold and Jack Curley. Eight conversions were kicked by Lee. Man of the match was Shay Guilfoyle who carried strongly throughout.

The lads now await the winners of Navan versus Mullingar to see who their quarter-final opponents will be. Next weekend the focus returns to the league with a visit to Athy which is bound to be a very tough encounter.

Team: J. Curley, D. Fitzpatrick, E. Byrne, R. Tubritt, S. Guilfoyle, S. Sawyer, G. Hadden, E. Stephens, J. Higgins, L. Cushe, T. Baxter, M. Kruczek, R. O'Loughlin, B. Cushe, C. Byrne, E. McCrea, A. Cleary, P. Kinsella, C. Byrne, R. Cleary, R. Arnold, J. Wizner.

Gorey Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links