Saturday 16 December 2017

Club call

Camolin Celtic before their Under-12 Division 2 soccer clash at home to A.F.C. Legia on Saturday.
Camolin Celtic before their Under-12 Division 2 soccer clash at home to A.F.C. Legia on Saturday.

Round three of Donal's winter league featuring the Junior section of Gorey Tennis Club was held on January 8, with 17 children taking part.

Over-10s: 1, Deirdre Whitmore; 2, Jonas Stafford; 3, Cormac Downey.

Under-10s: 1, Luca Clopin; 2, Oisín Molumby; 3, J.P. Power.

Points after round three - Over-10: Cormac Downey and Deirdre Whitmore, six; Bethany Trankner and Jessica Mouzet, two; Under-10: Luca Clopin, nine; Oisín Molumby, four; Pollyanna Clavin, two.

Special thanks to Arnaud and Florence for treating everyone to their 'classic pancakes'.

Well done to all, and the next round is Sunday, February 5, at 2 p.m.


Congratulations to Ger Murphy who took part on Saturday in the East of Ireland Marathon held in Staplestown, Co. Kildare.

The results of the winter league two-mile cross-country held on Sunday, January 15, in Kavanagh's were: Brian Maher 11.46, Conal Cooper 11.51, Mick Jordan 11.54, David Kehoe 12.09, Will Doyle 12.53, Colin Garry 12.54, Conor Hyland 13.00, Mick Morrissey 13.35, Ed Cahill 13.37, Mick Quigley 13.41, Declan Ivers 13.41, Brendan Dillon 13.47, Ian Rochford 13.58, Emily O'Connor 14.08, Noel Kehoe 14.11, Mick Nolan 14.41, Kelly Long 14.57, Eamon Saunders 15.01, Karen Murphy 16.12, Billy Kinsella 16.13, Joanne Murphy 17.24, Mag Dunphy 17.29, Enda Waters 17.39, Stephanie McKenna 17.54, Donie Colfer 18.03, Kate Doyle 18.17, Gretta Roberts-Tyrell 18.17, Val Murphy 18.58.

Well done to Bobby Redmond and all the team in Ballymurn who put on a great race in aid of two great causes on Sunday: Temple Street Hospital and Ballymurn N.S.

First Slaney man home and third overall was Kevin Murphy in 17.17, and first Slaney lady and first lady overall was Emily Waldron-O'Connor in 20.19.

Full club results: Kevin Murphy 17.17, Billy Reck 17.23, David Kehoe 17.40, Paul Browne 18.47, Colin Garry 18.53, Will Doyle 19.07, Jessie O'Connor 19.27, Mick Morrissey 19.33, Brian Murphy 19.49, Conor Hyland 19.49, Michael Quigley 19.50, Brendan Dillon 19.54, Emily Waldron-O'Connor 20.19, Joe Whelan 20.35, Noel Kehoe 20.54, Mary Gorham 21.14, Sunday Nzerem 21.15, Kelly Long 21.17, Pat Hennessy 21.40, Anne-Marie Doyle 22.01, Sarah Walsh 22.35, Tom Crofts 22.38, Aoife Kavanagh 23.14, Gosia Szymura 23.40, Cengiz Celik 24.23, Maura Neville 24.28, Eric Derr 24.30, Peter Ryan 24.59, Louise N. Ryan 24.49, Vincent Byrne 25.38, Deirdre B. Kavanagh 25.50, Patrick Tull 26.13, Donie Colfer 26.19, Bozena Bartnik 26.19, Karen Tull 26.40, Gretta Roberts-Tyrell 26.55, Mag Dunphy 27.08, Mag Sludds 27.46, Eddie Kenny 27.46, Annis Kehoe 27.51, John Chapman 28.25, Samantha Brady 28.33, Pauline McGowan 28.34, Tracy Kavanagh 28.26, Val Murphy 28.30, Orla Doyle 29.46, Siobhán Fenlon 30.37, Emer Hassey 30.50, Michelle Grant 31.07, Angela McDonald 32.04, Sarah Gannon 32.52, Maria Brady 35.20, Michelle Murphy 50.54. Well done to everyone.

Sunday, January 29, is the final race of the cross-country season in Lingstown, Tomhaggard. The ladies' race is 4k and the men's race is 6k.


S.B.R. was out in strong numbers to support the Ballymurn National School 5k on Sunday. Myles Gibbons continued his strong start to the year, finishing second place overall out of 445 finishers in a time of 16:41.

Next home was Tomás Breen who ran a brilliant race in 19:18 for 17th overall place. Cathy Maher led home the S.B.R. ladies in 23:36 for a 63rd overall finish.

She was followed closely by Eilish Kehoe in 25:00 and Annette Guinan in 25:36. Well done everyone!

At the Gorey Parkrun on Saturday, Ian McQuillan was the first S.B.R. man home in second place overall out of 197 finishers. Ian has had a very good last few months and this was one of his best finishes in the Parkrun.

He was followed home by Belinda Kehoe who was the second overall woman and 15th overall finisher in 22:28. Belinda continued her great form from 2016 with a great run there in Gorey.

Liam Breen was the next person home in 16th place in 22:34, and Annette Guinan won her age category to finish in 25:37. Well done Annette! Mag O'Leary-Doyle was next S.B.R. runner home in a great time of 28:14.

At the Racing 795 duathlon Sunday, S.B.R. was well represented. Fresh off her sterling performance in the Leinster Masters cross-country, Ciara Bowe was second woman home followed by Yvette Deacon in third and Mary Carton in fourth. Well done to S.B.R., taking home three of the top four women's places.

A reminder that the S.B.R. spring league starts Wednesday, February 1, in Ferns at 7.30 p.m. with registration from 7 p.m. The first race takes place over the one-mile distance.


After the previous week's facile win over Pembroke Wanderers, Enniscorthy men's first choice eleven took to the road on Saturday and came away with all three points after a 2-1 win over Dublin side Y.M.C.A.

The Wexford men resumed where they had left off and opened strongly. Medcalf and Jowett busied themselves on the left, causing havoc in the Y.M. defence, and forcing the 'keeper into a flurry of saves.

The pressure finally told on 20 minutes when Roy Chapman sent one of his trademark drives into the back of the net and Enniscorthy went in search of another.

It wasn't until five minutes before the break, though, that Enniscorthy's lead was doubled, following a great solo effort from Liukimas.

Finding himself in possession inside the '23, the big Lithuanian dribbled inside the semi circle - beating a cluster of defenders in the process - and then drag flicked the ball into the net.

It wasn't all plain sailing for the Pure Oil-sponsored side. Y.M.C.A. emerged from the half-time break with a markedly improved performance, and pulled a goal back after 38 minutes.

Y.M. attacked down the right wing. An initial effort was saved by Hill in the Enniscorthy goal but the rebound only went as far as Wall for the hosts, who scored despite the best efforts of Andrew Rothwell who was covering the line.

The remainder of the half saw increasingly desperate efforts from the home side to secure an equaliser, but the Enniscorthy defence of Ivan Rothwell, Simmons, Vietch and Andrew Rothwell, along with centre midfielder Glenn Chapman, was able to hold firm.

Relieving breaks from Roy Chapman and Jason Rothwell on the right and Medcalf and Jowett on the opposite wing, along with forward substitutes Cooke and Durnan, allowed breathing space for a beleaguered back line.

Following the result at Wesley College, word filtered through that Avoca had drawn with Enniscorthy's rivals Monkstown, a result that leaves the Cathedral town side four points clear of the Dubliners, who have a game in hand.

Donal Doyle's men will be trying to improve the situation when they host basement side Glenanne at the Astro Active Centre next Saturday, but will be well aware of the threat they posses as they are one of the only sides to have beaten the Wexford men in the league this season.

Enniscorthy: Graham Hill, Andrew Rothwell, David Simmons, Martyn Vietch, Ivan Rothwell, Daithí Medcalf, Glenn Chapman, Roy Chapman, Liam Jowett, Jason Rothwell, Edmundas Liukimas, William Durnan, Cory Cooke. Coach: Donal Doyle. Manager: Fraser Rothwell.


As the Leinster Premier League reaches the closing stages of phase two, prior to the knockout phase finals, Gorey Under-17s welcomed close rivals Wicklow to Clonattin.

Gorey came into this game unbeaten and seven points clear at the top of the table, with Wicklow in contrast looking to save any chance of their progression after losing to Boyne the previous week.

Despite forecasts of an arctic freeze, perfect conditions welcomed both teams. Gorey started the stronger, pinning Wicklow back in their own '22, but they were unable to break the visitors' defence to score.

Wicklow relied on the trusty boot of their talented out-half time and again to relieve the pressure by kicking themselves out of danger, only for Gorey to come right back at them repeatedly.

But Wicklow's final defensive line was resolute and Gorey were unable to convert this early dominance to points. The game was being played at a frenetic pace and Gorey had to content themselves with a penalty 15 minutes into the game to put them three points to the good.

Wicklow now came on the offensive with their strong number 8 stealing several balls from the bottom of Gorey rucks. Gorey's own defensive line was now being tested, but it held firm and the game locked into a stalemate with neither side giving any quarter.

With half an hour gone, Wicklow were rewarded with a penalty for Gorey going offside and they opted to kick into the corner for touch. From the line-out, they went through the phases, steadily advancing toward the Gorey try-line, but at what would surely be their final push over the line, Gorey captain Robert Murphy somehow managed to steal the ball and the danger was averted.

But as the clock ticked towards the half-time mark, Wicklow were rewarded with yet another penalty, this time apparently for Gorey entering a ruck from the side. Although within easy kicking distance, Wicklow chose not to take the points and once again kicked for the corner.

The line-out that resulted was the last play of the half and Wicklow made no mistake this time as they worked their way to the line, protecting the ball each time, until they finally scored their opening try under the posts. The successful conversion sailed over as the referee blew for half-time (7-3).

The second-half started as the first had begun with Gorey piling on the pressure, but Wicklow defended like a team whose lives depended on it and they repelled attack after attack.

Once again, a lot of Gorey's hard work was squandered as they surrendered the ball at the ruck, having worked their way up the field.

This was turning into a battle royal, which the scoreline didn't reflect, as both sets of supporters cheered tenacious play by both teams who were giving every last drop on the pitch.

Gorey centre, Mark Boyle, kicked through some exquisite balls but they just didn't work out.

Another kick for touch halfway through the second-half saw Gorey's line-out go uncontested by Wicklow and Gorey drove for the line, but were stopped just short by a superb defence.

Every 50-50 ball was fought for with incredible intensity by these two well-matched teams.

Finally, Gorey seemed to have broken the deadlock when second row Cian Kenny appeared to get over the line, but the referee deemed it held-up and a five-metre scrum to Gorey resulted.

The game finished with Gorey camped on Wicklow's try-line, but unable to break the visitors' fortress-like defence. The final score (7-3) was probably a fair reflection of the play and in particular a testament to Wicklow's outstanding defence.

Gorey came away with a valuable losing bonus point, still leaving them at the top of the table, with a five-point lead over both Wicklow and Boyne.

With just two games left before the crucial knockout stage, Gorey have two very tough appointments away to Boyne and North Kildare.

Gorey: Jack Ryan, Toby Falconer, Niall Kenny, Joe Butler, Tadhg O'Neill, Dylan Sawyer, Frank Kavanagh, Robert Murphy (capt.), Cillian Tomkins, Mark Kehoe, Adam Byrne , Mark Boyle, Seán Wafer, Flynn Donnelly, Oisín Fortune. Subs. - Cian Sullivan, Kyle Donnelly, Cian Kenny, Ryan Gibney, Mark Doyle, Henry Kennedy, Ryan Kinsella, Greg Bolger.

On a cold day in Clonattin, the Gorey J2s hosted Kilkenny in a game that would gauge the progress of both teams since their last encounter in Kilkenny.

On that occasion Kilkenny ran out convincing winners and the hosts didn't want a repeat of that. The visitors started the better, and almost crossed the line but for good defending by Gorey.

They then missed a good penalty chance. Gorey owned the next ten minutes and, with the pack spurned on by Eoin O Scanaill, they finally crossed for the opening try after intense pressure saw Seán Carty with some work to do cross the whitewash.

Gorey kept up the pressure and it was not long until they scored again after a sniping run by Garrett Bater saw quick hands put Eoin Walshe through to run in under the posts. Conor Butler converted to extend the score to 12-0.

The lead was reduced almost immediately when Kilkenny turned over from the kick-off to spread the ball wide and score a fine try in the corner.

But Gorey continued on the offensive and another good passage of play saw the forwards making the hard yards. Quick passing saw Conor Butler split the Kilkenny defence to go in for another try, and he was just wide with the conversion.

Gorey managed to run in try number four when Eoin Walshe finished another move.

The second-half saw Kilkenny up the ante and for the first 20 minutes they controlled the territory but Gorey were proving hard to break down. The score of the match came when Gorey eventually turned over the ball, and they then moved it swiftly through the hands of at least six players for winger Seán Carty to round off a fine game with a great team try.

Kilkenny did rally and managed to score a try to leave the final score at 29-10. Heino Gaiser, Eoin O Scanaill and Eoin Walshe were the pick of the forwards. The backs were not found wanting either with Conor Butler, Josh Thomas and Seán Carty the stand-out players.

Team: T. Tomkins, E. O Scanaill, W. Rothwell, B. Horan, Z. Sinnott, E. Walshe, S. Hadden, H. Gaiser, G. Bater, C. Butler, S. Kennedy, S. Byrne, J. Thomas, S. Carty, L. Willoughby, N. Rothwell, A. Kinsella, R. Hughes, D. O'Neill, A. O'Brien, D. O'Neill.

The Gorey ladies travelled to Wexford Wanderers for their first game after the Christmas break.

Wexford started strongly with several phases of play inside the Gorey '22. However, the defence held firm and a turnover ball was quickly turned into attack, with Ciara Breen breaking through two tackles and then running the length of the field to score a try under the posts which Lorraine Gahan converted.

From the re-start Gorey went back on the attack and, after several phases of play, Niamh Doran broke through the Wexford defence and dotted down under the posts with Lorraine Gahan converting.

Wexford launched an attack and despite a strong defensive effort from Gorey, the home side came away with a try.

Gorey launched another attack with Niamh Doran's support play meaning she was there to finish off the move with a try in the corner.

The Wexford re-start was collected by Valerie Conyard who made a very strong run into the opposition half. The Gorey forwards were quick to the ball which allowed for a quick attack to be launched, and Niamh Doran again broke through the Wexford defence to score her hat-trick.

The Gorey forwards secured the ball again, and a strong carry from Maria Breen had the Wexford defence on the back foot. Some more strong carries from the Gorey forwards allowed the pack some space, with Ciara Tomkins making the break to score the try in the corner.

The start of the second-half led to a period of defensive dominance with both sides finding it difficult to break through. Gorey then got a penalty just outside the Wexford '22 and opted for the scrum from which Anna Nolan made a great break through the Wexford defence and scored a try.

Wexford then applied some serious pressure to the Gorey defence which held firm for a long period of time before Wexford finally made the breakthrough and crossed over the line for a try.

Wexford again applied pressure in the Gorey half but some great work from the pack turned over the ball and launched another attack. Niamh Doran sliced through the Wexford defence and broke free to score her fourth try under the posts which was converted by Nicola McGrath, bringing the final score to 41-12 in Gorey's favour.

The weekend saw the Gorey Under-15s welcome Wexford Wanderers to Clonattin in the Leinster League - always a closely-fought match and the supporters were not disappointed.

The opening exchanges saw both sides looking for a strong start. The first blood went to Wexford in the form of three points after a penalty was awarded against Gorey.

At the re-start Gorey went on the offensive, and before long number 8 D. Cooke took the ball on a burst and scored the first try.

It was never going to be a whitewash for either team with defence on both sides intense and tough, but after a nice break by centre C. Popplewell was stopped by a high tackle, the try was given as a penalty try and at the break Gorey were happy to be in front.

Wexford came on strong and after a chip and chase plus a lucky bounce a try was scored. This was countered when hard-working prop G. Murray dived for the line to put the pressure back on the visitors.

The tide of the game was going with Gorey, and in another attack on the Wexford line, lock forward O. Austin attacked the blindside at a ruck, handed off a defender and scored in the corner. Wexford, with seven minutes to go, were not in the mood to give up and after numerous phases they scored to make the final stages exciting and absorbing.

The two local rivals produced a very good match and many observers noted what a great and fair game it was. Final score: Gorey 26, Wexford 22.

Gorey: G. Murray (try), J.J. O'Neill, P. Doyle, O. Austin (try), S. Timmons, J. Tallon (capt.), P. Darcy, D. Cooke (try), G. Slattery (three conversions), G. Lande, C. Popplewell (try), J. Colclough, S. O'Hagan, L. Noblett, H. O'Brien. Subs. - S. Doran, L. Bates, J. Kinsella (used), T. Montague, O. O'Hagan.

Gorey Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links