Tuesday 24 October 2017

Club call

RACING795 - Congratulations to Racing795 members Frank Burke and P.J. Dunne on the completion of their first half Ironman in Lanzarote recently.

In tough, windy conditions, P.J. finished the 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile cycle and 13.1-mile run in six hours, 12 minutes, followed by Frank in six hours and 30 minutes.

Closer to home, Dena Hogan served notice of her intentions for 2013 with a great win in just under 39 minutes in the inaugural Beach Bog Run held in Castletown.

Meanwhile, the club finished 21st out of 66 in the national triathlon standing for 2012 - no mean feat for a small club.

Racing795 is always open to new members. Our members, from complete beginners to internationals male and female, take part in triathlons, road and mountain biking and running, swimming, adventure racing and everything in between!

We pride ourselves on being a small, friendly and well-organised club. If you are interested in becoming a member or just having a go, check out for information or just e-mail us at


Enniscorthy 87, Garda 11: Garda to their credit never gave up in this Leinster league Division 1 encounter, but their valiant efforts were well and truly buried by the home team in Ross Road on Saturday last. Enniscorthy helped themselves to 13 tries in a highly-entertaining performance.

The Gardaí have been hit by the lack of recruitments and also by the government cutbacks, and as a result they have been on the end of some big beatings this season.

Enniscorthy head coach Damien McCabe decided to rest some of his first choice players for this league match which was the final one in the first round of the league.

Winger Fiacre Ryan took his opportunity with both hands when he produced a hat-trick of tries.

Scrum-half Alan Jacob scored two. In fact, it was a field day for the backs, with captain Ross Barbour who played full-back scoring two tries, while Ivan Jacob also got a brace.

Out-half Ivan Poole also scored two and his replacement, Jack Kelly, got in on the act also.

Enniscorthy are in third position in the league on 22 points and a point behind Newbridge, but Tullamore are running away with the division and are unbeaten with a massive ten-point lead.

Coach Damien McCabe said: 'Unfortunately the Guards are suffering this year because of a lack of quality and we are also under pressure, especially with our list of injuries. To have two of our outstanding players, Tony Ryan and 'Nipper' Howe, out is a blow but I have to say that the young lads coming through have given everyone around the place a big lift.

'Today Willie Dunne, who is just 20 years old, had an excellent game in the second row and Naoise Dunbar was excellent. Remember, he was playing with the Under-19s last year.

'Jack Kelly also didn't look out of place when he came on at out-half. Today gave us a chance to look at some of the players on the fringe of the team.

'It looks like Tullamore are going to run away with the league but there are still a lot of matches to play and in a fortnight's time we will begin the second stage of the league with a home match against Coolmine.'

Team: Pat Doyle, Luke Goff, Paddy Waters, Declan O'Brien, William Dunne, Mitchell Dalton, Naoise Dunbar, Seán Wall, Alan Jacob, Ivan Poole, Fiacre Ryan, Paul Byrne, Evan Lett, David O'Dwyer, Ross Barbour (capt.). Subs. (all used) - Tom Ryan, Robbie O'Connor, Johnny Leech, Ivan Jacob, Jack Kelly.

Enniscorthy take on Kilkenny in the South East League final this coming Friday in Kilkenny at 7.30 p.m.

Enniscorthy thirds came away 18-15 winners in a tight battle in this Leinster league game away at Kilcock. North Kildare opened the scoring with an early try moved out wide by a slick back line.

Enniscorthy replied with a Brendan Kearney drop goal kicked under pressure from rushing defenders. The next score came from constant Enniscorthy pressure when Johnny O'Dowd crashed over, with Brendan Kearney converting.

A late North Kildare try left the half-time score 15-10 in their favour. Enniscorthy lifted the pace in the second-half and saw Ritchie Farrell score in the corner which was followed by a late penalty, again from Brendan Kearney. The visitors saw out the win in a very tight finish to continue their unbeaten league run.

Team: Jason Sheridan, Davy Murphy, Jack Murphy, Eugene O'Connor, Johnny O'Dowd, Johnno Hughes, Malcolm Rothwell, Jamie Barron, Timmy Morrissey, Lee Treacy, Eugene Kehoe, Jerome Caxard, Brendan Kearney, Cathal Spratt, Oisín Dunbar, Bob Spillane, Hughie O'Neill, Eddie Warren, John Daly (capt.), Richie Farrell, Tom Quigley, Jonathan Jacob, Francis Wickham.

Enniscorthy Under-19s were pipped at the post for the second week in a row in their Leinster league campaign, with only two losing bonus points to show for the last two outings. The home side started brightly and a thunderous Brian Bolger tackle, on cousin Fergal, welcomed Gorey to Ross Road.

From an ensuing scrum Neil McCrea stole Gorey ball and a sniping run saw the ball switched left for Liam Ryan to put Dylan Walsh over in the corner. At this stage Enniscorthy had a good supply of ball through the good work of pack leader Murt Kehoe, Alex Pim and Gavin Bailey in the loose, with Daniel Owen and Bolger dominating the line-outs.

This resulted in some innovative attacking ploys which saw a strong Gorey defence snuffing out promising runs from Martin Steemers, Ryan, Jonnie Squance and Danny Dreelan before sustained pressure resulted in an Enniscorthy penalty out wide. An intricate move involving industrious prop James Cooper, McCrea and Bolger resulted in the latter being stopped short, only for that human wrecking ball, Mike Morrissey, to pick up and plunge over in the corner to leave the home side leading 10-0.

Gorey then had a sustained attacking phase before half-time, missing a penalty kick before a multi-phased attack left some forwards defending wide with slow line speed allowing Gorey to touch down under the posts, and the conversion leaving the score at 10-7. Enniscorthy's last attack before half-time saw good pressure by Jack Flood earning a penalty which Rob Frayne duly slotted to turn over 137 in front.

Gorey, unbeaten so far in the league, came out all guns blazing after the resumption and put endless pressure on a brave home defence which eventually conceded two penalties. Their kicker was now in the groove and tied up the match at 13-13.

Gorey lost No. 8 Josh White to a yellow card but the home side were unable to trouble the scoreboard in his absence and were soon to lose Morrissey for killing ruck ball. Brian Windsor, introduced at half-time, made some penetrating runs while Pat Kehoe's introduction lent some muscle to the pack, with Fionn Carty, replacing the injured Squance, initiating Enniscorthy's best attack from deep but again a resolute Gorey defence held firm.

Gorey now threw everything into attack and in the second-last play of the match, after sustained pressure, they exposed Enniscorthy on the blind side for their winger to score in the corner. Enniscorthy's last spirited attack fizzled out with Gorey clearing the ball to touch to the sound of the referee's final whistle.

While the return was disappointing, the performance was improved which will be essential with a difficult home fixture versus Wicklow on Saturday next at Ross Road, and then a tricky away game to New Ross the following week. Enniscorthy now need a win or two to make it into the top four and a Leinster quarter-final.

Panel: Jonnie Squance, Dylan Walsh, Martin Steemers, Liam Ryan, Danny Dreelan, Rob Frayne, Neil McCrea, James Cooper, Jack Flood, Martin Kehoe, Daniel Owen, Mike Morrissey, Brian Bolger, Gavin Bailey, Alex Pim, Fionn Carty, Brian Windsor, Lar McDonald, Ciarán O'Neill, Pat Kehoe, Ross Walsh, Dylan Furlong, Leon Power, Seán Murphy, Ian Butler.

Enniscorthy Under-13s travelled to Athy on Saturday for their second game in the Leinster league. Two quick tries by the home side saw them taking an early 14-0 lead after five minutes.

A dazzling individual 70-yard run resulting in a try in the eighth minute by full-back Conor Nolan brought Enniscorthy right back into the game. However, Enniscorthy's promising revival was shortlived with Athy slipping in with two more tries before the break.

Athy started the quicker in the second-half, adding an early try to take a 33-7 lead. From this point Cahill's men dug deep and dominated proceedings for the rest of the match. A combination of excellent teamwork and individualism saw number nine, Fiachra Hourihane, scoring a hat -trick of tries in the last 20 minutes.

The final scoreline of 33-24 in favour of the home side shows how close this match was and indeed how unlucky Enniscorthy were considering they controlled the majority of the match. Notable displays from Cameron O'Leary and Jordan Kelly in the seconnd-half should also be mentioned.

Team: Robert Bolger, Ryan Cahill, James Rothwell, Seamus Doyle, Jordan Kelly, Peter Rowley. Eoghan Herlihy, Niall Parker, Fiachra Hourihane, Danny Ryan, Adam Gethings, Luke Harrington, Cameron O'Leary, Michael McGinty, Joe Atkinson, Conor Nolan, Adam Pepper, T.J. Owens, Ryan Askins, Stephen Hadley, Eoin O'Leary.

Fixtures (Saturday, November 24): Under-19 Leinster league v. Wicklow at Ross Road, 12.30 p.m.; Under-15 Hawks, Leinster league away to Roscrea (TBC).


Bleak weather conditions provided the backdrop to Sunday's hockey match between Enniscorthy firsts and Kilkenny seconds in Kilkenny College. Enniscorthy were slow from the outset and provided a lack-lustre performance for the first-half, whilst Kilkenny seconds took advantage and secured many opportunities. Although Jane Peppard worked tirelessly in defence, Kilkenny finally broke through to notch their first on the scoreboard.

Enniscorthy fought back in the second-half and made some good running passes up the right wing. On target Gráinne Roche found the net and equalised for Enniscorthy. However, Kilkenny were on form and quickly retaliated by scoring a second to put them 2-1 up in the last ten minutes.

Gráinne Roche was unlucky not to equalise for the second time when she failed to convert a sweeping pass across the front of the goal by Niamh Rochford. Enniscorthy's poor start proved detrimental to their positive comeback in the second-half.

It proved a case of too little, too late. It was an unlucky day all round for 'Scorthy as the seconds had also lost their match against Wexford firsts earlier that morning. Enniscorthy will have undoubtedly learned some tough lessons from these games in the lead-up to their Cup match on Sunday next. All support would be greatly appreciated.

S. B. R. A. C.

Best of luck to all the Wexford athletes that will be competing at the A.A.I. inter-counties and national even ages Juvenile cross-country championships this coming Sunday (November 25). These All-Ireland championships will be held at Tattersalls Farm, opposite Fairyhouse racecourse, Co. Meath.

The county team picked to represent Wexford in the Senior men's race over 10 km. is: Tom Hogan, Tommy McElwaine, Myles Gibbons, Denis Moynihan, Paul Gibbons, David Leonard (all S.B.R.); Kevin Murphy, David Barron, Jim Stafford, Jason O'Connor (all Slaney Olympic); Ger Maloney (St. Paul's) and James Cloney (St. Killian's).

Well done to all the S.B.R. athletes who competed in last Sunday's Stook ten miles road race that was organised by Gowran A.C. in Co. Kilkenny. Gary O'Hanlon (Clonliffe Harriers) won the race with Philip Harty (West Waterford A.C.) in second place and Andrew Connick (Ferrybank A.C.) in third place.

First S.B.R. athlete home was Tommy McElwaine in fifth place in a time of 58.07 (Tommy also won the M40 category). Myles Gibbons was in seventh place in a time of 58.19, Eugene Doherty was 32nd in 66.50 (and second in the M55 category), while Claire Gibbons ran 82.27, Ailish Byrne 85.39 and Jimmy Howard 90.20.

Paul Gibbons won the 5 km. race that was run in conjunction with the -tenmile road race in a time of 18.55.

S.B.R. club training for the cross-country season takes place each Tuesday and Thursday in Ferns. Sessions take place under lights and begin from 7 p.m., with new members always welcome to join the club. Directions to the field: go past Ferns G.A.A. club, turn left for Ballycarney and the field is the third gate to the right after the turn. More information is available from Lukie Kehoe on 087-3222914 or Sliabh Buidhe Rovers can be found on Facebook.

The S.B.R. club handicap takes place on Sunday, December 2, at 2 p.m. The race is open to club members only and will take place over the four miles course in Ferns, used for the annual Mick Murphy Memorial road race. Athletes will be started in a staggered manner, with the fastest runners off last.