Tuesday 25 June 2019

White keeps his cool

'SATISFACTORY' was probably the word of the day for Bannow-Ballymitty and Kilmore as they shared the spoils in the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship Group A in Taghmon on Sunday last, writes Dean Goodison.

Bannow-Ballymitty 1-10, Kilmore 1-10:

It took a Daithí Moore injury time penalty, after Denis Kenny was fouled picking up a loose ball close to goal, to bring the sides level for the sixth time but it would be hard to argue that it wasn't a fair result.

Indeed, despite the initial disappointment, particularly for Bannow-Ballymitty, both clubs should see this as a point gained. The equation is now simple for the New Ross District side - beat neighbours Clongeen and a quarter-final place is theirs.

Kilmore could also rubber-stamp their knockout place with a win over the Duffry but they will have to wait for other results to be sure. They got the opening score in this one, through Moore, but quickly fell 0-3 to 0-1 behind after points from John and Barry Sinnott and a Ben Brosnan free.

Moore pulled a point back for his side in the ninth minute but Brosnan picked off another brace for Bannow-Ballymitty as they led by 0-5 to 0-2 with ten minutes of the half remaining. Yet Kilmore owned the rest of the period. Noel Raftery flashed over after a nice pass by Paddy Byrne and John Codd scored twice to tie the game at the interval (0-5 each).

Points were exchanged by Niall Harney and Brosnan for Bannow-Ballymitty and Moore and Paddy Byrne for Kilmore, but last year's Intermediate 'A' champions took the lead for the first time since the fourth minute when Moore knocked over his fourth point of the day (0-8 to 0-7).

Their joy, and lead, only lasted 60 seconds as Harney was fouled and Brosnan stepped up and converted a classy penalty. Another Brosnan double and a Graham Sinnott point stretched the lead further but Kilmore still had plenty of fight left in them.

Moore produced a superb '45 just when his side needed it and Rob Cousins added a coolly-taken point to leave a goal between the sides late on. Tom Byrne fed Conor Moore who saw his low shot saved in the last minute, but there was just time for more drama with the late Moore penalty saving the day for Kilmore.

Bannow-Ballymitty: Philly Murphy; Niall Murphy, Garry Murphy, Art Murphy; Gordon Rossiter, Art Sweetman, M.J. Doran; David Currid, Michael Barry; Darragh Murphy, Barry Sinnott (0-1), Ben Brosnan (1-6, 0-4 frees, 1-0 pen.); Niall Harney (0-1), John Sinnott (0-1), Graham Sinnott (0-1). Subs. - Conor Neville for N. Murphy, black card (30), Conor Furlong for A. Murphy, inj. (59).

Kilmore: Kevin Casey; Peter Shannon, Stevie Cousins, Denis Kenny; Noel Raftery (0-1), Alan Jones, Tom Cousins; Tom Byrne, Paddy Byrne (0-1); Daithí Moore (1-5, 0-3 frees, 1-0 pen., 0-1 '45), Noel Casey, Tom White; Aaron Goff, Conor Moore, John Codd (0-2, 1 free). Subs. - Rob Cousins for Codd, temp. (24-26), Cousins (0-1) for Codd (46), Liam Shannon for White (50).

Referee: James Mullally (Gusserane).

Gorey Guardian