Monday 21 January 2019

Volunteers dig deep

Volunteers 3-14 Kilanerin 4-10

Volunteers top scorer David Shannon making life difficult for Kilanerin defender Lorcan Clare
Volunteers top scorer David Shannon making life difficult for Kilanerin defender Lorcan Clare

Brendan Furlong

Having led by seven points at the interval, Volunteers had to dig deep before eventually emerging with a one-point victory over Kilanerin in this All-County Football League Division 4 semi-final in Páirc Charman on Friday.

With total dominance through the opening 30 minutes, one expected Volunteers to push on to a comfortable victory, but a revitalised Kilanerin responded in the second-half.

They were helped by the introduction of veteran Matty Forde to the attack, as the lethal finisher had 1-2 on the scoreboard within six minutes of the re-start.

After Tommy Boland had goaled for the visitors within two minutes, the Vols responded through the fine play of inter-county forward David Shannon. He goaled on four minutes, and followed with a second four minutes later, to put his side into a 2-1 to 1-0 lead.

Although Kilanerin kept battling, they were unable to stifle the attacking threat of Shannon, who continued to pick off points.

A long, speculative Mikey Lawlor lob finished in the net to create daylight between the sides, leaving the Vols ahead by 3-7 to 2-3 at the interval, with Kilanerin's second goal from a Seán Forde penalty arriving two minutes into additional time.

While the Vols had played all the quality football, they totally faded on the resumption as Kilanerin managed to up the tempo of their game.

While Shannon had increased the home side's lead with a point with one minute of the re-start, Kilanerin responded to the challenge.

Substitute Matty Forde pointed a free, followed by a well-taken goal after 36 minutes, and when Liam Carroll finished a cross to the net three minutes later, the north county side were amazingly in front for the first time since the opening minute.

The Vols were now left with a real battle on their hands, but they responded with points from Shannon and a Dylan Carty free to go back in front.

On 45 minutes a Liam Carroll point had the sides back level, while Seán Forde gave Kilanerin the lead entering the last six minutes. But with Shannon continuing to get in on the scoring act with well-executed points, the Vols withstood the surge of Kilanerin with one point to spare.

Volunteers: John Coady; Brian Sheridan (0-1), Keith Furlong, Jason Kearns; Darragh McGuire (0-1), Mikey Banville, Ciarán Brennan (0-1); Eoin McCarthy, Stephen Burke; Peter Walsh, Mikey Lawlor (1-0), Jack O'Leary; Dylan Carty (0-3, 2 frees), Neil Furlong (0-1), David Shannon (2-6). Subs. - Donal O'Connor (0-1) for Burke, Geoff Scally for Lawlor, Luke Dowdall for McCarthy.

Kilanerin: Eoin Lucey; Lorcan Clare, Eddie Hughes, Brian Hughes; Seán Bardon, Ben O'Connor, Colm Noctor; Jim Hughes, Pat Fortune; Gearóid O Súilleabháin, Tommy Boland (1-1), Lee Owley; Liam Carroll (1-1), Peter Hughes (0-2), Seán Forde (1-3, 1-0 pen.). Subs. - Matty Forde (1-2, 0-1 free) for O Súilleabháin, Andrew Murphy for Bardon, Páraic Hughes (0-1) for Fortune.

Referee: Seán Whelan (St. Martin's).

Gorey Guardian