Sunday 22 September 2019

Third Shels draw

GAA: club football championships - Shelmaliers 0-13, Glynn-Barntown 2-7

Brian Carty - SFC in St. Patrick's Park

A late free from Glen Malone secured a draw for reigning champions Shelmaliers as they topped Group B of the Senior football championship with an unbeaten record after a 0-13 to 2-7 share of the spoils with District rivals Glynn-Barntown in Friday's dramatic fifth round clash in St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy.

The sides had been level twice in a tense encounter, but Glynn-Barntown looked to be leap-frogging the Shels in the final standings as points from Shane Wilde and substitute Conor Mahoney opened up a 2-7 to 0-11 lead after 53 minutes.

But the drama wasn't finished on a mad night, as, amid growing tension and a couple of flash-points, Eoin O'Leary pointed three minutes into injury-time before Brian Malone forced a free some three minutes later which his younger brother converted to make it three draws in succession for the Over The Water men.

The Malone brothers had combined for the opener after 54 seconds, but Glynn-Barntown were fired up early on and caught the titleholders with a quickfire brace of goals inside the second minute.

A run up the field by Matthew Banville wasn't particularly tracked as he linked up with Barry Doyle, and the latter parted to Michael O'Regan who stylishly fired across James Gordon.

Gordon's re-start then went awry, and Glynn-Barntown capitalised in assured fashion as Wilde goaled with distinction.

Unfazed, Shelmaliers hit back with four unanswered points through Jody Donohoe (after pirouetting out of contact), Brian Malone, Senior debutant Tiarnan Neville and Craig McCabe (free) to draw level at 0-7 to 2-1 after twelve high-quality minutes.

Frees from Aaron Kehoe and O'Regan restored Glynn-Barntown's lead by the end of the first quarter, and the remainder of the half was non-descript by comparison apart from a fine save to deny John Leacy from Gordon after the Glynn-Barntown captain made hay down the middle.

Wilde saw his attempt at the posts in first-half stoppage time awarded as a point after referee Kevin Carty consulted with linesman, Fintan O'Reilly, and that gave Glynn-Barntown a narrow 2-4 to 0-7 interval lead - and top spot for the time being at least.

Brian Malone and Páraic O'Leary left the minimum between the sides on the re-start, and although Kehoe converted a free in response for Glynn-Barntown, the Shels had a huge opportunity to turn the tables when they were awarded a penalty on 38 minutes.

McCabe looked confident in his lengthy run-up and went high, but Matt Doyle guessed correctly to divert it around the posts, although McCabe pointed the resultant '45, and also added a free soon after to make it 0-11 to 2-5 by the 44th minute.

Glynn-Barntown forged another goal chance though when Leacy passed in to Wilde, but he took the point to restore their lead, while substitute Mahoney only had goal on his mind when his shot careened off the bar for a point before Glen Malone's intervention at the death.

Shelmaliers: James Gordon; Andre O'Brien, James Cash, Dan Campbell; Simon Donohoe (0-1), Brian Malone (0-2), Eoin O'Leary (0-1); Tiarnan Neville (0-1), Glen Malone (0-2, 1 free); Jody Donohoe (0-1), Eoin Doyle (capt., 0-1), Seán Keane-Carroll; Páraic O'Leary (0-1), Craig McCabe (0-3, 2 frees, 1 '45), Conor Hearne. Subs. - Adam Howlin for Gordon, inj. (HT), Liam Rockett for Neville (56), Mark Power for Keane-Carroll (58).

Glynn-Barntown: Matt Doyle; Robert Tierney, Jack Fenlon, David Clarke; Matthew Banville, John Leacy (capt.), Kevin Mahoney; Aaron Breen, Cormac Rowe; Ríoghan Crosbie, Barry Doyle, Fionn Cooney; Shane Wilde (1-2), Aaron Kehoe (0-3, 2 frees), Michael O'Regan (1-1). Subs. - Robert Dempsey for B. Doyle (43), Conor Mahoney (0-1) for Wilde (53).

Referee: Kevin Carty (Sarsfields).

Gorey Guardian